Marriott integrates Expedia’s package product to help drive incremental demand
Seattle, Wash, 2016-Sep-08 — /Travel PR News/ — Expedia, Inc. has announced a new partnership with Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR), which integrates Expedia’s technology to power Marriott’s own dynamic packaging platform “Vacations by Marriott” on Marriott.com in the United States. Expedia fosters a test and learn environment that allows the company to leverage its world class technology to identify and test new products that meet partner business goals, while also adapting to changes in the marketplace.
A strategic initiative that has been in development for months, Marriott has, as of September 1st, integrated Expedia’s best-in-class dynamic packaging technology into the Vacations by Marriott Hotel & Flight Packages product with its world-class selection of air inventory, tours, attractions and ground transportation options accessible on Marriott.com. Travelers accessing Marriott.com to book a hotel can now also combine their accommodations with a flight booking from the more than 475 Expedia airline partners. Package bookings typically have twice the length of stay, twice the booking window, and half the cancellation rate of a standalone hotel-only booking, making them an attractive source of incremental demand for owners.
“We believe there is considerable untapped opportunity between our two companies to drive value to hotel owners and travelers alike by strengthening our Vacations by Marriott’s offering,” said Arne M. Sorenson, CEO of Marriott International. “We are thrilled to launch this new product with Expedia’s technology, and to explore new areas of partnership beyond our existing distribution relationship.”
“We’re going through an exciting period where we are evolving how we think about our business, and especially how we think about and work with our partners,” said Dara Khosrowshahi, CEO of Expedia, Inc. “Our investments in technology, marketing and data analysis help us to better serve partners and travelers around the world, and enable us to move our value beyond distribution, for the benefit of our partners. We’re excited about the Marriott collaboration, which is born out of our test and learn philosophy, and is testament to the strength of our partnership.”
About Expedia, Inc.
Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) is the world’s largest online travel company, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes leading online travel brands, such as:
- Expedia.com®, a leading full service online travel company with localized sites in 33 countries
- Hotels.com®, a preeminent global lodging expert operating in more than 65 countries and 35 languages with its award winning Hotels.com® Rewards loyalty program
- Orbitz Worldwide, including leading U.S. travel websites Orbitz.com andCheapTickets.com, as well as ebookers, a full service travel brand with websites in seven European countries
- Expedia® Affiliate Network (EAN), a global B2B business that powers the hotel business of leading airlines, top consumer brands, online travel agencies and thousands of other partners through its API and template solutions
- trivago®, a leading online hotel search with sites in 55 countries worldwide
- HomeAway®, a global online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, which also includes the VRBO, VacationRentals.com and BedandBreakfast.com brands, among others
- Egencia®, a leading corporate travel management company
- Travelocity®, a leading online travel brand in the U.S. and Canada delivering customer service when and where our customers need it with the Customer 1st Guarantee
- Hotwire®, inspiring spontaneous travel through Hot Rate® deals
- Expedia® Media Solutions, the advertising sales division of Expedia, Inc. that builds media partnerships and enables brand advertisers to target a highly-qualified audience of travel consumers
- Wotif Group, a leading portfolio of travel brands including Wotif.com®, Wotif.co.nz,lastminute.com.au®, lastminute.co.nz and travel.com.au®
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- CarRentals.com™, a premier online car rental booking company with localized sites in 13 countries
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of online and in-market concierge services, activities, experiences and ground transportation in hundreds of destinations worldwide
- Venere.com™, an online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, a provider of exceptional value and expert advice for travelers booking cruises and vacations through its network of over 220 retail travel agency franchises across North America
SOURCE: Expedia, Inc.