LONDON, 2014-6-13 — /Travel PR News/ — easyJet, the UK’s largest and Europe’s leading airline has today announced the addition of a third Airbus A320 aircraft which will be based at Nice Cote D’Azur airport to further strengthen easyJet’s long term commitment to the region.
The aircraft addition will result in the creation of 37 new direct jobs to total over 100 staff employed at the base and is a significant development in the airline’s expansion in France and at Nice Cote D’Azur airport. Over 600,000 passengers fly easyJet to the airport each year from the UK alone, with over three million easyJet passengers in and out the airport each year. The arrival of easyJet’s third aircraft has enabled the airline to become the number one carrier at the airport and expand the number of destinations served from 24 to 28, with four new routes to Hamburg, Marrakech, Lisbon and Palermo.
easyJet marked the occasion with a ‘bike race’ in the Bag Drop area of the airport. Passengers and passers-by were invited to climb up on a static bike and pedal their way across a virtual easyJet destination map. The fastest cyclists to reach all of the destinations from Nice in the easyJet network were entered into a prize draw with the lucky winner rewarded with flights to any easyJet destination from Nice Cote D’Azur.
Francois Bacchetta, easyJet’s Chief Executive for France said:
“We are delighted to be the number one airline carrier in Nice. It’s testament to us meeting our aims to make travel around Europe easy and affordable with attractive prices whether flying for business or leisure. Now we’ve passed this symbolic 3 million passengers milestone, easyJet is a key player in the region, aiming for sustainable growth and development and we’re thrilled to be celebrating the achievement here at the airport today.”
More than 3 million easyJet passengers to and from Nice
In 2013, the company transported 3,058 million passengers to and from the city which is the capital of the Alpes-Maritimes. An increase of more than 9% compared to 2012.
Details of easyJet’s four new Summer 2014 services from Nice:
- Hamburg: 4 flights per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday)
- Marrakech: 3 flights per week (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday)
- Lisbon: 3 flights per week (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday)
For more information please contact the easyJet Press Office on 01582 525252 or press.office@easyJet.com
EasyJet at Nice Cote D’Azur airport
- easyJet is the no. 1 carrier at Nice Cote D’Azur airport with a 27% market share
- easyJet opened its base at Nice Cote D’Azur in March 2012 with the arrival of an airbus A319 and the opening of seven new destinations
- More than 30.2 million passengers have flown easyJet to and from Nice since 1996, when easyJet first launched services from the airport
- More than 3 million easyJet passengers used Nice Cote D’Azur airport in 2013
- Approximately 30 easyJet flights are operated per day and 270 flights per week
- 21% of easyJet’s passengers to and from Nice are flying on business
- 28 destinations served: Basel-Mulhouse , Barcelona, Belfast , Berlin, Bordeaux , Bristol, Brussels , Edinburgh, Geneva , Hamburg, Lille , Liverpool, London Gatwick, London Luton , London Stansted, Lyon , Marrakech , Nantes, Naples , Newcastle, Olbia, Paris -CDG , Paris-Orly , Rome Fiumicino , Toulouse, Venice, Lisbon (and soon Palermo, starting July 2014).
- easyJet employs 114 cabin and technical crews at Nice Cote D’Azur Airport (French contracts only – figures from April 1st 2014).