Richmond, B.C., 2018-Feb-03 — /Travel PR News/ — WestJet today (January 29, 2018) announced that it has again enhanced its schedule and connectivity out of its Vancouver hub to key business and leisure destinations in Canada and Mexico, adding 60 more flights weekly.
“WestJet is again providing additional service to benefit both the business traveller as well as the leisure guest,” said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. “Since 2013, we have invested in providing 40 per cent more capacity for our guests in the community. With today’s increases, we will have more than 80 daily departures, and that means increased connectivity as well as convenience. We are certain business travellers and vacationers alike will be pleased with the flexibility and timeliness our enhanced schedule provides.”
Details of WestJet’s increased service from Vancouver:
- An increase of 24 weekly flights between Vancouver and Calgary for a total of 16 times daily, with hourly service in both directions (top of the hour from Vancouver, and bottom of the hour from Calgary).
- Vancouver-Edmonton from 50 to 59 times weekly (nine times each business day).
- Vancouver-Calgary, from 88 to 112 times weekly (16 times daily).
- Vancouver-Kelowna from 40 to 49 times weekly (seven times daily).
- Vancouver-Ottawa from seven to 14 times weekly (twice daily).
As previously announced, on March 15, WestJet will launch three-time weekly service between Vancouver and Mexico City with the route moving to daily service on April 29.
“We are thrilled that WestJet is enhancing its schedule and connectivity out of YVR this summer. The addition of more than 60 weekly flights provides passengers with even more flexibility when travelling to key destinations in Canada and Mexico,” said Craig Richmond, President & CEO, Vancouver Airport Authority. “WestJet has been a long-time partner and this announcement further strengthens YVR’s position as a hub, providing more non-stop travel options and convenient connections.”
As Canada’s second busiest airport, YVR plays a significant role in the economy by creating jobs and driving business activity throughout the country. Every flight added at YVR helps create and support jobs, and contributes to B.C.’s economy.
The service is part of the airline’s seasonal schedule for the summer of 2018. In addition to the above increases to Vancouver service, highlights of WestJet’s 2018 summer schedule include:
- New non-stop daily service from Halifax to Paris and London (Gatwick).
- The addition of almost 200 flights to WestJet’s hubs including 60 to Vancouver, 72 to Calgary and 28 to Toronto.
- Additional flights from Calgary to a number of transborder and sun destinations including Nashville, Cancun, Dallas / Ft. Worth and Las Vegas.
- Additional flights from Calgary to a number of domestic destinations including Nanaimo, Edmonton, Halifax, Kelowna, Fort McMurray, Windsor, Grand Prairie, Montreal, Abbotsford, Penticton and Victoria.
- Additional flights from Edmonton to a number of transborder and domestic destinations including Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Kelowna, Fort McMurray and Saskatoon.
- An increase of 14 weekly flights between Edmonton and Calgary for a total of 12 times daily.
- Additional flights from Toronto to a number of sun destinations including Cancun, Montego Bay, Nassau, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Fort Myers.
- Additional flights from Toronto to a number of Canadian destinations including Ottawa, Montreal, Saskatoon and Victoria.
- An increase of nine new weekly flights between Toronto and Ottawa for a total of 13 times daily.
- An increase of nine weekly flights between Toronto and Montreal for a total of 14 times daily
This summer, WestJet will operate an average of 765 daily flights to 92 destinations including 43 in Canada, 22 in the United States, 23 in Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America, and four in Europe.
For more information on new routes and increased frequencies in WestJet’s 2018 summer schedule, please visit westjet.com/flight-schedules-new.
ABOUT VANCOUVER AIRPORT AUTHORITY
Vancouver Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that manages Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Canada’s second busiest airport, YVR served 24.1 million passengers in 2017. Fifty-six airlines serve YVR, connecting people and businesses to more than 127 non-stop destinations worldwide. In 2016, YVR received CAPA Centre for Aviation’s prestigious Airport of the Year Award and was voted Best Airport in North America for the eighth consecutive year in the Skytrax World Airport Awards in 2017. Vancouver Airport Authority is a dedicated community partner and in 2017 donated more than $1,000,000 to local organizations. We are committed to creating an airport that British Columbia can be proud of: a premier global gateway, local economic generator and community contributor.
WestJet is proud to be named Best Airline in Canada and one of the best Low Cost Airlines in North America, based on authentic reviews from the travelling public on Trip Advisor, the world’s largest travel site. We are one of very few airlines globally that does not commercially overbook. Together with our regional airline, WestJet Encore, we offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe and to more than 175 destinations in over 20 countries through our airline partnerships. WestJet Vacations offers affordable, flexible vacations to more than 60 destinations and the choice of more than 800 hotels, resorts, condos and villas. Members of the WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of flights and vacations packages to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods, and have access to Member Exclusive fares offering deals to WestJet destinations throughout our network and those of our partner airlines.
WestJet is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the symbol WJA. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.