EDINBURGH, Scotland, 2019-Jan-10 — /Travel PR News/ — VisitScotland Chief Executive Malcolm Roughead, said: “We are honoured that the National Television Awards has chosen Dundee to make the announcement of who will be in the running for a coveted National Television Award. This is the very first time that the nominations have been revealed in a live setting outside of London, and it is fitting that V&A Dundee – one of the most exciting and iconic new buildings in the UK – provides the stunning backdrop for such a moment.
“We hope today’s event will inspire others to consider Dundee as a destination to visit, live and work, study and invest in.”
“The arrival of V&A Dundee, and other major developments in the city, have helped propel Dundee into the global spotlight and shine a light on all this incredible city, and the surrounding areas, has to offer.
Paul Bush OBE, VisitScotland’s Director of Events, added: “The opening of V&A Dundee has been an exciting new chapter for both the city and Scotland, and today’s event reinforces not only the museum’s place as a hub of design and creativity but as key part of the country’s events sector.”
“EventScotland is always looking for new events to bring to Scotland to showcase all we have to offer visitors.
“For the last few years we’ve been speaking to Indigo TV, the producers of the National Television Awards, about a number of different projects that we could bring to Scotland. Among them was the idea for a live event to announce the nominees for the Awards. The NTAs were keen for the event to take place outside of London at a new and iconic location so V&A Dundee were an ideal fit given it is an true architectural masterpiece and the only V&A museum in the world outside of London.
Notes to Editors
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation’s core objective is to contribute to the Tourism 2020 Strategy ambition of growing tourism revenues by £1 billion by 2020.
- This will be supported by five overarching strategies: Marketing, Events, Quality and Sustainability, Inclusive Tourism, International Engagement.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- Spending by tourists in Scotland generates around £12 billion of economic activity in the wider Scottish supply chain and contributes around £6 billion to Scottish GDP (in basic prices). This represents about 5% of total Scottish GDP
- For VisitScotland’s press releases go to http://www.visitscotland.org/media_centre.aspx, tourism statistics and frequently asked questions go to http://www.visitscotland.org/
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
Scotland’s Themed Years
- Following an industry consultation, the Themed Years will now take place every second year to enable more time for planning and opportunities for collaboration.
- 2020 has been designated as a year in which Scotland’s Coasts and Waters will be showcased and celebrated with a programme of activity designed to support the nation’s tourism and events sectors.
- The year, led by VisitScotland will sustain and build upon the momentum of Scotland’s preceding Themed Years to spotlight, celebrate and promote opportunities to experience and enjoy Scotland’s unrivalled Coasts and Waters, encouraging responsible engagement and participation from the people of Scotland and our visitors.
- A year-long programme of events, activities and ideas will shine a spotlight on the impact our waters have had on Scotland, from the formation of beautiful natural features to the creation of our national drink – whisky.
- Join the conversation using #YCW2020
- 2022 will be the Year of Scotland’s Stories – a celebration of our rich literature, film, oral traditions and myths and legends.
Senior Corporate Press Officer – National
Contact for media enquiries on: Travel media (Scotland); Year of Young People; UK Marketing; Dundee; Fife; Angus; Perthshire
0131 472 2052
Out of hours – 0131 472 2324