LONDON, UK, 2018-Jul-19 — /Travel PR News/ — Norwegian was today named ‘World’s Best Low-Cost Long-Haul Airline’ for the fourth consecutive year and ‘Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe’ for the sixth year in a row at the prestigious Skytrax World Airline Awards held in London.
The Skytrax 2018 World Airline Awards are independent and impartial and represent the leading international airline rating system as voted for by the travelling public. Norwegian was once again recognised as setting the standard in low cost travel by providing outstanding service combined with a high-quality product while operating one of the youngest fleets in the aviation industry.
Bjørn Kjos, Norwegian CEO, said: “It is a great honour to once again be recognised as the ‘World’s Best Low-Cost Long-Haul Airline’ and ‘Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe’ at the Skytrax 2018 World Airline Awards. At Norwegian we take great pride in following the core values that we have always stood for, to offer affordable travel to all across our expanding global network. Our modern fleet of aircraft and attentive cabin crew ensure that our customers, whether travelling for work or leisure, enjoy their trip from the moment they step on board.I personally would like to thank all our passengers who voted for us and my 9,500 dedicated colleagues at Norwegian who continuously strive to be the best in the industry.”
Edward Plaisted of Skytrax said: “Norwegian has been a top customer favourite in the World Airline Awards over the last 6 years, being successful not only in keeping ahead of its low-cost rivals in the survey but also improving its position amongst full-service carrier ratings. This is a truly excellent achievement for an airline that is still undergoing rapid expansion.”
Throughout 2017 and into 2018 Norwegian has continued its global expansion plans and now serves more than 150 destinations in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, Asia, the Caribbean, South America and the US. 2018 marked a milestone year for the airline as Norwegian proudly launched its first route to South America with a direct service from London to Buenos Aires and its first route between London and Singapore. Transatlantic services were also increased with new flights from London to Chicago and Austin.
These latest awards add to the growing accolades that Norwegian has already received in 2018 including Best Wi-Fi in Europe and Best Overall Passenger Experience Low Cost Carrier Europe at the Passenger Choice Awards; Airline Programme of the Year Europe and Africa at the Freddie Awards in recognition of the airline’s customer loyalty programme – Norwegian reward; and Europe’s Leading Low-Cost Airline 2018 at the World Travel Awards.
Norwegian’s Chief Communications Officer, Anne-Sissel Skånvik, accepted the awards accompanied by Norwegian cabin crew Agne Zupkaite, Francesco Sapuppo, Marcin Krzywicki, Nancy Lily Wheeler at The Langham Hotel in central London.
About Skytrax World Airline Awards:
Celebrating their 18th anniversary, the World Airline Awards are independent and impartial, introduced in 1999 to provide a customer satisfaction study that was truly global. Travellers across the globe vote in the world’s largest airline passenger satisfaction survey to decide the award winners.
The online survey operated from August 2017 to May 2018, and invitations were sent to all previous year respondents, the survey database totalling 24.45 million customers.
Customer surveys were provided in English, French, Spanish, Russian, Japanese and Chinese.
The highest nationality increase in the 2018 survey was Chinese customers with an additional 3.5 million entries.
Over 100 customer nationalities participated in the survey with 20.36 million eligible entries counted in the results.
All survey entries were screened to identify IP and user information, with duplicate, suspect or ineligible entries deleted. 335 airlines are featured in the survey results.
Norwegian in the UK and Ireland:
- Norwegian carries 5.8 million UK passengers each year from London Gatwick, Edinburgh and Manchester Airports to 50 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 4.6 million yearly passengers, and with more than 1,000 UK-based pilots and cabin crew
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. – the airline now flies to 11 U.S destinations, Buenos Aires and Singapore
- In 2017, Norwegian also launched affordable transatlantic flights from Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Shannon to the US East Coast, using the brand new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.7 years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 737 MAX and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for five consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards from 2013-2017, along with being awarded the ‘World’s best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Norwegian Reward is the airline’s free to join award-winning loyalty programme offering members CashPoints and Rewards that reduce the cost of Norwegian flights
+44 (0)20 3874 6100
For customer service: 0330 8280854