Salem, OR, 2018-Mar-14 — /Travel PR News/ — In a shift away from the grand, scenic imagery commonly used in tourism marketing, Travel Oregon’s 2018 spring campaign breaks the mold, using delightful, technicolor animation to evoke what photography sometimes cannot – the magical feeling of being in Oregon.
The aptly named “Only Slightly Exaggerated” campaign is a fanciful, high-energy cinematic animation of Oregon’s majestic and diverse natural features and range of outdoor adventures — from mountain biking the North Umpqua Trail to swimming at Trillium Lake to hot air ballooning over Willamette Valley wine country.
“The goal of this campaign is to welcome and inspire people to come find happiness by vacationing in Oregon,” said Travel Oregon CEO Todd Davidson. “As more travelers seek health and wellness, alongside memorable and sharable moments, the time is right to showcase the outdoor adventures available in every corner of the state and build upon the $11.3 billion a year in visitor spending that directly employs more than 109,000 Oregonians.”
The campaign launches today in Portland, San Francisco, Seattle and Phoenix. The media buy includes cinema, TV, digital and out of home. The campaign will be further extended online throughout the year with immersive new content, GIFs, stills and short animations featuring Oregon’s seven tourism regions.
“We thought Oregon deserved better than just another travel ad,” said W+K Art Director Nick Stokes. “So we turned to animation to try and capture its magic. We’re very proud of the work, and I’m honored to represent my home state in such a unique way.”
The campaign, produced in partnership with Wieden+Kennedy, features a 90-second animated video with an original score performed by the Oregon Symphony. For inspiration, animators traveled the state to experience natural splendor and geographic distinction—from Eastern Oregon to the Oregon Coast to Southern Oregon. A diverse cast of animated human characters and native Oregon flora and fauna are also featured prominently, including a larger-than-life bunny, cycling caterpillar and grey whales breaching in the clouds. While the animation is fantastical and magical, each location featured in the 90-second spot is a real place you can visit in Oregon—Only Slightly Exaggerated.
A Spring Campaign Toolkit has been developed to help you share the magic of Oregon and to inspire visitors to plan their next adventure. Here are some things you can do:
1. Share the videos across your marketing channels to encourage travel in and around your region.
2. Take a look at the media plans to see where you can leverage Travel Oregon’s placement in key markets.
3. Take advantage of regional content:
- Use banner ads and custom imagery featuring Oregon’s seven regions. Please reference Travel Oregon when posting on Facebook, Instagram, newsletters, etc.
- Be sure to link to the campaign landing page on Traveloregon.com/only-slightly-exaggerated. For regions participating in the spring co-op, link to your regional campaign landing page to be developed
- Introduce videos and photos with this copy: “Oregon, Only Slightly Exaggerated”
- Download the style guide for tips and a look at more assets to come
- Send your ideas on how to strengthen the impact of this campaign to Kelda@TravelOregon.com
This beautiful video conceived and produced by Wieden + Kennedy, with animation by Psyop and Sun Creature, and original music by the Oregon Symphony.
If you have additional questions or comments about New Travel Oregon Campaign Takes Adventurers on a Cinematic Journey Through the State’s Outdoors, please contact the appropriate member of the Travel Oregon staff listed below.
Manager, Global Communications
Source: Travel Oregon