Fort Lauderdale, Fla., 2018-Oct-25 — /Travel PR News/ — The Central Florida Chapter of Women in Aviation International (WAI) recently hosted a “Girls in Aviation Day” event in conjunction with other chapters from around the world at Orlando International Airport to provide young women from Orlando-area high schools the opportunity to learn about the many career fields available in the growing aviation industry.
The free event, attended by 40 girls in grades 9 – 12, was a team effort sponsored by United Airlines, Silver Airways, Flight Training Professionals and Sheltair, along with participating partners, including the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority K-9 Team, Wildlife Control and Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighters, Archer First Response Systems, Signature Flight Support Orlando, National Aviation Academy and Wings Financial Credit Union.
“It was truly an honor to participate in ‘Girls in Aviation Day’ with our valued industry partners in the Orlando area and give young women the opportunity to learn about and experience the vast array of aviation career opportunities that are available to them,” said Silver Airways flight crew member Donna Hendrickson who started her aviation career as a flight attendant and is now a pilot. “As the air transport industry continues to grow, we want to inspire young women to pursue their passion for aviation and instill the confidence that anything is possible when you pursue your dreams.”
“We are extremely grateful for all of the support we received from the Central Florida community, including Archer First Response Systems, Entenmann’s, Flight Training Professionals, Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, National Aviation Academy, Orlando International Airport Fire-Rescue, Sheltair Aviation, Silver Airways, United Airlines, Wings Federal Credit Union and the 91st Air Refueling Squadron,” said WAI Treasurer Central Florida Chapter Laurel Ross. “Our hope is that the girls we reached this weekend will go on and make big differences in the aviation and aerospace industries.”
“Today was inspirational, motivational and energizing – thank you,” said Anna Perrin, Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant and one of WAI’s Central Florida Chapter’s newest members. “All your hard work made the event possible and seeing the support and admiration everyone shared with each other. I am proud to be a part of this wonderful organization. I saw dreams come alive in those young women today and being able to share my love for aviation with strong accomplished women was phenomenal.”
During the full-day event, the young women had the opportunity to meet and talk with women in many aviation career fields and participate in various aviation-themed presentations, including:
- Flight Training Professionals – Principles of Flight with Maggie Broman from CFI;
- Archer First Response Systems’ Gordon Folkes demonstrated using drones and life-saving technology;
- A military briefing with KC-135 Stratotanker Captain Ilma Calite from MacDill Air Force Base’s 91st Air Refueling Squadron who discussed her career path from Air Force cook to Air Force Captain through the Air Force Academy and the girls had the opportunity to try on a “G” suit and helmet;
- Greater Orlando Aviation Authority K-9 Team performed live demonstrations on a United 737-800;
- Greater Orlando Aviation Authority Wildlife Control Officers demonstrated their techniques;
- United Airlines’ maintenance led a rivet project in which the girls squeezed rivets into an aluminum disc and engraved their name on it;
- United Captain Pamela Perdue, who flies Boeing 757s and 767s, shared how she started and advanced her aviation career;
- National Aviation Academy offered educational material and hands-on displays;
- Signature Flight Support Regional Customer Service Experience Manager Kalee Schnelzer talked about fixed-based operator operations and services;
- Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighters provided a tour of their new tower truck T-88 and crash truck 84;
- Silver Airways introduced the newest addition to its fleet – the ATR 600 – with its new pink flamingo livery.
About Silver Airways
Silver Airways operates the most routes within Florida and between Florida and the Bahamas from its hubs in Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa, and also operates Essential Air Service between Boston and Bar Harbor, Maine. In addition, Silver this year acquired Seaborne Airlines with flights in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and the Caribbean. Silver is a codeshare partner with United, JetBlue and Avianca, and has interline agreements with American, Delta, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, Bahamasair, Hahn Air and Azul. Silver operates a fleet of highly-reliable Saab 340 aircraft, and starting in 2018, Silver is renewing and expanding its fleet with up to 50 new eco-friendly ATR-600s. Silver is honored to be the North American launch customer for the all new, redesigned ATR-600 offering best-in-class quiet cabins, premium leather seats with more legroom, and spacious overhead bins that accommodate full-size, carry-on roller bags. Silver is owned by affiliates of Philadelphia-based investment firm Versa Capital Management, LLC. To learn more about the refined passenger experience coming soon to Silver, visit SilverAirways.com/atr.
About Women in Aviation
Women in Aviation International (WAI) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the encouragement and advancement of women in all aviation career fields and interests. WAI is the fastest growing aviation organization dedicated to encouraging young people to consider aviation careers as well as providing networking opportunities for women and men throughout the aviation industry. WAI membership is open to anyone with an interest in aviation, including aviation professionals, enthusiasts and students. To learn more and to join the over 9,000 women and men who are members of Women in Aviation, International, visit www.wai.org.
Source: Silver Airways