- Royal Caribbean® International announces professional rugby player and self-taught ‘Insta-traveller’ Harry McNulty as the successful candidate for its Shore Explorer ‘Apprentice-ship’ all-expenses-paid world trip
- In addition to Japan, Alaska, Europe and the Middle East, he will be one of the first to visit Perfect Day℠ at CocoCay® – a new and exclusive private island in the Caribbean
- His first task will be an induction onboard Independence of the SeasSS when the ship returns to the UK next month
London, UK, 2019-Apr-24 — /Travel PR News/ — A professional rugby player and self-taught ‘Insta-traveller’ from Dublin, Republic of Ireland, has secured the world’s most coveted ‘Apprentice-ship’, after being selected from over 37,000 UK and Irish candidates to travel the world for three weeks this summer as Royal Caribbean International’s official Shore Explorer Apprentice.
In his new role, Harry McNulty, 26, who goes by the social handle @saltynuts_, will be tasked with seeking out new land-based experiences across the globe that will ultimately influence the brand’s shore excursion programme.
The trip will see Harry, who frequently travels the world playing for Ireland’s national rugby sevens team, exploring the likes of Japan, Alaska, Europe and the Middle East, as well as being one of the first to step foot on Royal Caribbean’s new and exclusive private island in the Caribbean, Perfect Day℠ at CocoCay®, opening next month.
In addition, the globetrotting sports star will receive £6,000 on completion of the trip – the equivalent of a £104,000 salary.
Building on the success of its ‘Intern-ship’ programme two years ago, Harry will act as apprentice to Royal Caribbean’s Instagrammer-in-Chief, Russ Francis, who was appointed following his 2016 application.
Harry’s job ‘induction’ will be a little more glamourous than most, seeing him embark on an adrenaline-fuelled journey onboard Royal Caribbean’s Independence of the Seas when she returns to UK shores next month. Whilst onboard, Harry will be tasked with trialling experiences ranging from the ship’s 40-foot-long surf simulator, FlowRider®, to its bungee jump simulator SkyPadSM.
The application mechanic was simple: post your favourite, most-inspiring travel image or video on Instagram to be judged by an expert panel, comprising:
- The Vamps’ writer & guitarist and contestant in I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! 2018, James McVey
- Nadia El Ferdaoussi, Travel Writer
- Russ Francis, Royal Caribbean’s Instagrammer-in-Chief
- Ben Bouldin, AVP and Managing Director, Royal Caribbean International, UK & Ireland
Harry blew the judging panel away with his entry, going over and above the brief by creating a spectacular video montage of his travels.
Ben Bouldin, Royal Caribbean’s AVP and Managing Director, UK and Ireland said: “We loved Harry’s entry which was a unique piece of content featuring him capture various adventurous experiences around the world. This not only demonstrated his photography and storytelling skills, but also showed-off his dedication and passion for travel – two attributes that are integral to this role.
We’re confident that Harry will be able to seek out extraordinary new shore experiences to share with the world and inspire our shore excursion team to offer our guests even more incredible adventures at our destinations around the world.”
Harry McNulty, Royal Carribean UK’s new Shore Explorer Apprentice said: “This has come as a bit of a shock, but an amazing one… even just to be included in the shortlist was a huge achievement, but to actually get the position out of 37,000 applicants is incredible. The chance to travel the world and inspire people by capturing content of extraordinary places – over half of which I’ve never been to – is the opportunity of a lifetime. I can’t wait for the adventure to get started and give it everything that I’ve got!”
Harry’s entry stood out above the rest, but there were huge numbers of extraordinary shots that told incredible stories. Those that made the shortlist were:
- @kistography with her atmospheric shot at the Eden Project
- @ainesadventures with her incredible travel montage
- @jsonnewman for his awe-inspiring snap in the Arizona desert
- @Courtneystokesx with a spectacular mountain vista in Patagonia
- @darrens_visuals for his video of icy Kollafjordur in the Faroe Islands
- @_edmorris stargazing in the Namib Desert
- @no.permanent.address for this steely blue glacier shot
- @elliotmicallef who creatively captured a sunset
- @jackgarratt95 with his adventurous entry
- @katiehagan77 for her video entry including drone footage
- @katie.maree with a dune-top selfie
- @ kevla_r for his Mars-esque desert shot
- @kirstyshawberry for her beautiful wide Lapland image
- @matharvey23 with a stunning sunset shot
- @twiiler for an interesting coastal capture
- @that_backpacker_guy with his Philippine volcano shot
- @thetextbooktravels with these beautiful god rays
- @a_stirling_adventure for a stunning couple shot
- @rooftopsandflipflopsphotography for her desert camouflage
For more information on the Royal Caribbean Shore Explorer Apprenticeship, visit https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/shore-explorer/.
About Royal Caribbean:
Royal Caribbean International is an award-winning global cruise brand with a 50-year legacy of innovation and introducing industry “firsts” never before seen at sea. The cruise line features an expansive and unmatched array of features and amenities only found on Royal Caribbean, including jaw-dropping, West-End style entertainment and industry-acclaimed programming that appeals to families and adventurous holidaymakers alike. Onboard, guests are catered to with the cruise line’s world-renowned friendly and engaging service by every staff and crew member.
Even more, UK consumers and travel agents think we’re doing great things… in 2017, Royal Caribbean won over 40 national and international awards including “Best in Cruise ” in the Sun Travel Awards, “Best Cruise Line for Entertainment” and “Best Cruise Line for Suites” in the Cruise Critic UK Editor’s Picks, “Cruise Line of the Year 2017” in the Virgin Holidays Travel Awards and “Best Mainstream Cruise Company” in the Globe Travel Awards.
The cruise line sails 25 of the world’s most innovative cruise ships to the most popular destinations in Bermuda and the Caribbean, Europe, Canada and New England, Alaska, South America, Asia, and Australia and New Zealand.
For additional information or to make reservations, guests can visit www.royalcaribbean.co.uk or call 0844 493 3033 (calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge), or call their travel agent. Travel professionals can visit myclubroyal.co.uk.
Royal Caribbean Office
+44 (0)207 932 3691
SOURCE: Royal Carribean International