London, UK, 2023-Mar-30 — /Travel PR News/ — Businesses across the South East exported £479 million of goods and services to India – more than any region outside London – according to the latest Government figures1.
These impressive trade volumes – and the jobs they support – have been given a further boost today as Air India starts flight from London Gatwick Airport. This will see 12 flights departing every week to Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Kochi and Goa.
The airport’s long-haul network – which currently serves 47 global destinations – has been shown to support the economy by facilitating increased exports and imports. The vast majority of cargo handled at the airport goes in the belly of long-haul passenger aircraft, such as these Air India flights. Cargo volumes would also double if Gatwick’s Northern Runway is brought into routine use.
The new Air India flights will also support tourism in both countries and provide convenient journeys for passengers from the large Indian communities in London and the South East, to visit friends and family in India.
Gatwick wants to invest in its long-term future and is preparing a planning application to bring the airport’s Northern Runway into regular use, for departures only, alongside its Main Runway. This low impact plan will improve resilience, reduce delays, and provide a significant boost to the regional economy by supporting trade, tourism and new jobs.
Jonathan Pollard, Chief Commercial Officer, London Gatwick Airport said: “These exiting routes open up a wealth of new opportunities for our passengers.
“Some will take advantage of the wonderful cities and beaches India has to offer. Others will benefit from the multiple connections between two of the world’s largest economies, while many of our passengers will use the new routes to visit friends and family.”
Campbell Wilson, Air India Managing Director & CEO, said: “We have ambitious yet focused plans to restore Air India to its rightful place as one of the world’s foremost carriers.
“Our substantial investment in customer service, new aircraft and the brand overall will enable us to gain market share on key routes from the UK to India as well as drive more business and leisure travellers to visit India itself. We are pleased to be launching services from London Gatwick, enabling our passengers to have even more choice on how they enter India.”
Brett North, Chair, Gatwick Diamond Initiative, said: “Today’s announcement is very timely and important for the Gatwick Diamond region. As we rebuild the local economy post-Covid, establishing strong relationships across the globe will ensure the Gatwick Diamond continues to be an important business powerhouse.
“On the back of the UK-India trade relationship, which is worth £34bn to the UK economy, and the creation of a technology envoy in the Indo-Pacific region, the opportunities for businesses within the Gatwick Diamond to further develop strong trade routes to India and the wider region couldn’t come at a better time.”
About Gatwick Airport
Gatwick is the UK’s second largest airport and is a vital piece of national infrastructure that helps drive both the regional and national economy. More than 40 airlines fly from the airport to over 150 short-haul and more than 45 long-haul destinations. The airport is focused on rebuilding and growing sustainably in the long term. It has ambitious plans to be a net zero airport by 2030 and increase capacity by bringing its Northern runway into routine use. VINCI Airports owns a 50.01% stake in the airport, with Global Infrastructure Partners managing the remaining 49.99% interest.
About VINCI Airports
The world’s leading private airport operator, VINCI Airports operates more than 65 airports in 12 countries in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Thanks to its expertise as a global integrator, VINCI Airports develops, finances, builds and manages airports by providing its investment capacity and its know-how in optimizing operational performance, modernizing infrastructures and managing their operations and environmental transition. VINCI Airports is the first airport operator to have committed to a global international environmental strategy in 2016, to achieve the goal of net zero emission across its entire network by 2050.
For more information:
About Global Infrastructure Partners
GIP manages the remaining 49.99% interest in Gatwick and is a leading independent infrastructure fund manager that makes equity and debt investments in high quality infrastructure assets in the energy, transport, water/waste and digital infrastructure sectors. GIP manages US$84 billion for its investors. Its 46 portfolio companies have combined annual revenues of US$61 billion and employ nearly 100,000 employees. For more information on GIP please visit http://global-infra.com
GATWICK AIRPORT PRESS OFFICE
+ 44 (0) 1293 505000
Main Gatwick switchboard:
+44 (0) 1293 50 7888
Source: Gatwick Airport