LONDON, 2016-Nov-02 — /Travel PR News/ — British Airways is launching a new service to Oakland, San Francisco Bay from March 28, 2017. It will be the airline’s first route from Gatwick to California, and its fifth service from London to the ‘golden state’.
Oakland offers close connections to world-famous landmarks including Napa Valley, Carmel and Yosemite national park.
The airport will also provide easy access to other parts of the Bay area, in particular San Francisco which is just a 30 minute ride by train or a 34 minute drive by car.
The route will be served by a 777-200ER aircraft operating four-days a week, with flights launching from £189 each way based on a return fare in World Traveller, £448 in World Traveller Plus and £998 in Club World available to book on ba.com
Colm Lacy, British Airways’ Head of commercial at Gatwick, said: “We’re very excited to open up California to our customers in the Gatwick area and position British Airways as the number one European carrier to the Golden State. Boasting 260 days of sunshine, award-winning restaurants, some of the world’s best wine, a buzzing tech industry, great sports teams and world-renowned tourist attractions – there’s something for everyone.
“We are confident this route will be a big hit with British tourists, especially with each way launch fares from £189 and return flights and car hire packages from £539 per person.”
The City of Oakland is well connected to a number of destinations and attractions, including (by car):
- Oakland Coliseum – home to the ‘Oakland Athletics’, NFL ‘Raiders’ AND ‘Golden State Warriors’ teams (10 minutes)
- San Francisco Embarcadero (19 minutes)
- Lake Merritt – famous saltwater lake (15 minutes)
- University of California Berkeley (15 minutes)
- Alcatraz (30 minutes)
- Golden Gate Bridge (40 minutes)
- Tech capital of the world, Silicon Valley (40 minutes)
- World class wines of Napa Valley (1 hour 10 minutes)
- Sacramento (1 hour 20 minutes)
- The Big Sur (2 hours 30 minutes)
- Lake Tahoe (3 hours)
- Yosemite National Park (3 hours 30 minutes)
Perfectly placed in North California, Oakland also makes a good starting point for road trips, with San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego and Los Angeles, all within easy reach for fly-drive enthusiasts. British Airways offers multi-destination bookings, allowing customers to fly in and out of different airports.
For those wanting to hit the road British Airways Holidays has the following fly-drive packages on offer:
- British Airways Holidays offers seven days, from £539 per person, travelling September 7 to October 21. Includes World Traveller return flights to Oakland from Gatwick and a people carrier minivan car. Book by November 31. For reservations visit ba.com/car
- British Airways Holidays offers seven days, from £579 per person, travelling September 7 to October 21. Includes World Traveller return flights from Gatwick and a convertible Ford Mustang car. Book by November 31. For reservations visit ba.com/car
For more information or to book a flight or holiday, please visit ba.com
Notes to Editors:
• Oakland facts courtesy of Visit Oakland
• On Monday, Thursday and Saturday BA2279 will depart from Gatwick at 10:20 and arrive at Oakland International Airport at 13:15 while the BA2278 will leave Oakland at 15:05, arriving into Gatwick at 09:25 the next day. On Tuesday the flight times are 65 minutes later.
SOURCE: British Airways