Plus: Summer Operations Now in Full Effect, Over 50km of Lift-Accessed Hiking and Running Trails Open and Wildflowers Now Going Into Full Bloom
WHISTLER, BC, 2016-Aug-12 — /Travel PR News/ — Whistler Blackcomb is excited to announce a new uphill hiking experience, The Blackcomb Ascent Trails. The Blackcomb Ascent Trails are three new interconnected uphill hiking trails that meander through beautiful old growth coastal rain forest terrain from Whistler’s valley bottom to the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb Mountain. Upon completion, the trails will travel a total of 5.2km with a total elevation gain of 1,200 metres.
“These trails have been designed to showcase the beauty and diversity of Blackcomb Mountain while offering an exhilarating uphill hike with the option to download using our lift system,” says Arthur De Jong, Mountain Planning and Environmental Resource Manager at Whistler Blackcomb. “This allows guests to maximize the health benefits of a continuous uphill climb while avoiding the pounding of downhill hiking.”
The trails were strategically built to provide various starting and finishing points which allow guests to design a custom experience that fits various fitness objectives and available time. Phase one, which includes the first two sections of trail from the valley to the top of the Wizard Express chairlift, will be opening on August 6. Phase two, which includes the third and final section of trail from the bottom of Wizard Express to the Rendezvous Lodge, will open in summer 2017.
The Blackcomb Ascent Trails are designed as an uphill hiking experience. For guests who want to access the Blackcomb chairlifts on the way up or down, the Blackcomb Ascent ticket is $15 (CAD) and free for Whistler Blackcomb Season Pass or Day Ticket holders. Blackcomb Ascent tickets include one download on Whistler or Blackcomb Mountain and must be purchased from Guest Services at the base of Blackcomb Mountain prior to hiking. More information available at https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/blackcomb-ascent-trail.
The Blackcomb Ascent Trails are a unique addition to Whistler Blackcomb’s existing trail network, which includes over 50km of lift-accessed alpine hiking and running trails. All trails are now open with views of ancient glaciers, alpine lakes and epic mountain vistas. Alpine wildflowers are beginning to show their true colours on Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains so guests who want to experience this summer wonder should head up into the alpine sooner than later as the peak bloom only lasts two to three weeks. The best places to view the alpine wildflowers are along High Note Trail on Whistler Mountain and Decker Loop on Blackcomb Mountain.
For those guests looking for activity options beyond alpine hiking and running, Whistler Blackcomb’s summer PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience is now in full effect, featuring summer sightseeing from the top of the Whistler Summit, a number of mountain-top dining options and a variety of on-mountain tours. Guests should head up to the alpine sooner rather than later as the alpine wildflowers are now going into full bloom and bursting with colour. For guests who want to save time, Whistler Blackcomb’s electronic tickets provide direct to lift access. Guests can choose from having the tickets directly on their smartphone or printing them at home. Whistler Blackcomb’s PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience highlights include:
- Lunch at the newly renovated Christine’s on Blackcomb. Now open daily from 11:30am to 4:00pm, Christine’s on Blackcomb features a scenic patio and a fresh summer menu.
- The Mountain Top BBQ series, which serves up mouth-watering BBQ, fresh salads and delicious deserts every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at the Roundhouse Lodge. The Mountain Top BBQ Series also features live entertainment and stunning views at 6,000 feet on Whistler Mountain. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/mountain-top-bbq.
- A stop at Raven’s Nest, the award-winning vegan-friendly vegetarian restaurant located at the top of the Creekside Gondola on Whistler Mountain. Raven’s Nest is now open for summer operations and is the perfect pick-me-up location for hungry bikers in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park or sightseers accessing the mountain from Creekside.
- New Clif Top Yoga Sessions presented by Clif Bar every Sunday morning at Raven’s Nest on Whistler Mountain. Classes are free with mountain access with a maximum of 20 guests per session. Passes are available at any Guest Relations location.
- Blackcomb Helicopter Sightseeing Tours on Blackcomb Mountain, offering guests unique aerial views of the breathtaking alpine environment. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/whistler-heli-tours.
- Geology and Ecology Tours, now running daily, offer guests a guided journey of Whistler Blackcomb’s key geological milestones.
- The new Samsung Alpine Theatre in the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb Mountain is now open and ready for guests viewing pleasure. Video content includes an educational journey where viewers will discover the many sides of the PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience, and a celebration of Whistler Blackcomb’s coulourful 50 year history.
- The Winemaker Dinner Series at Steeps Grill & Wine Bar on Whistler Mountain the Okanagan Vineyard Collective on August 27. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/on-mountain-dining/winemaker-dinner.
Guests interested in learning more about Whistler Blackcomb’s PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience can visit https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/discover/360-experience.
Guests looking to plan a trip to the consistently rated No. 1 Mountain Resort in North America can visit whistlerblackcomb.com/purchase/deals-packages or call 1-888-403-4727.
About Whistler Blackcomb
Whistler Blackcomb, the official alpine skiing venue for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, is situated in the Resort Municipality of Whistler located in the Coast Mountains of British Columbia 125 kilometres (78 miles) from Vancouver, British Columbia. North America’s premier four season mountain resort, Whistler and Blackcomb are two side-by-side mountains which combined offer over 200 marked runs, 8,171 acres of terrain, 16 alpine bowls, three glaciers, receives on average over 1,163 centimetres (458 inches) of snow annually, and one of the longest ski seasons in North America. In the summer, Whistler Blackcomb offers a variety of activities, including hiking and biking trails, the Whistler Mountain Bike Park, and sightseeing on the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola.
For more information, visit http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/media
Proud to be a venue for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
Media Notes: Whistler Blackcomb is pleased to provide high resolution photographs available for editorial use, downloadable at the following link: http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/media/photos/photos.asp
All Whistler Blackcomb e-mail communications are sent by Whistler Blackcomb on behalf of Whistler Mountain Resort Limited Partnership, Blackcomb Skiing Enterprises Limited Partnership, Whistler Blackcomb Holdings Inc. and Crankworx Events Inc. Whistler Blackcomb’s address is 4545 Blackcomb Way, Whistler, B.C., V0N 1B4. If you wish to stop receiving emails from Whistler Blackcomb, please email email@example.com.
SOURCE: Whistler Blackcomb