LONDON, 2016-Mar-25 — /Travel PR News/ — Low-cost airline Norwegian continues its rapid long-haul expansion with the inaugural flight to the U.S. city of Boston scheduled to take off as the Easter getaway gets into full swing.
This Sunday (27th), Europe’s third largest low-cost airline, will commence the UK’s cheapest flights to Boston from £135 making Massachusetts, New England and the U.S. more accessible to holidaymakers on all budgets. Norwegian’s latest long-haul route begins as the carrier is expected to fly more than 200,000 passengers from the UK this Easter (25th March and 10th April).
Boston becomes Norwegian’s sixth direct low-cost long-haul destination from Gatwick as the airline continues growing its range of affordable flights from the UK. Almost 80,000 seats are available this summer alone as four weekly flights on brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft will depart Gatwick for Boston on a year-round service with flight schedules that are well suited to a long-haul city break.
With new hotel openings including The Envoy and The Godfrey, Boston is experiencing extraordinary growth with increasing UK visitors as the city blooms with spring blossom, outdoor cafes and festivals. Holidaymakers can benefit from tax free shopping and sporting events in addition to historic walking trails and vibrant nightlife in the emerging Seaport district.
Thomas Ramdahl, Chief Commercial Officer at Norwegian said: “Norwegian is ready for take-off on the UK’s most affordable connection between England and New England. The response to our low fares has been fantastic and Boston has an understated buzz that British holidaymakers will love. With new long-haul flights, leisure and business travellers can get used to flying in comfort on our state-of-the-art Dreamliners as we continue launching more low-cost flights to the U.S.”
Nam Pham, Asst. Secretary for Business Development at Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism said: “We were excited when Norwegian announced the direct service from London Gatwick, as this opens up Boston and Massachusetts to those in the South East in particular. We are looking forward to welcoming increased UK visitors who will be attracted by the combination of great service and excellent value from the airline, which echoes the experiences they will find in Massachusetts. Tax free shopping, a strong range of hotel brands and wide choice of activities, restaurants and attractions mean the city and State will appeal to those looking for a cost conscious city break destination.”
Guy Stephenson, Chief Commercial Officer at Gatwick Airport said: “The addition of direct flights to Boston, a city steeped in history and culture, adds another premier U.S. destination to Gatwick’s growing list of long-haul destinations. The growth of low-cost long-haul travel with Norwegian from Gatwick has revolutionised transatlantic travel helping to make flights more affordable for hundreds of thousands of passengers and shows no sign of slowing as travellers get set to take advantage of the UK’s cheapest flights to Boston.”
Norwegian already operates affordable flights to New York, Los Angeles, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and the UK’s only direct flights to Puerto Rico which returns in November. The airline will launch its seventh low-cost route to San Francisco-Oakland with three weekly flights on 12th May.
The airline recently introduced its newest 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft which has 18% more seats than Norwegian’s 787-8 Dreamliner and will service all Norwegian long-haul flights from Gatwick. A record 425,000 seats are now available on Norwegian’s direct flights between the UK and U.S. this summer.
Flight schedule – Gatwick – Boston
- Departs Gatwick: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays at 16:50
- Arrives Boston: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays at 19:05
Flight schedule – Boston – Gatwick
- Departs Boston: Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays at 21:20
- Arrives Gatwick: Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays, Mondays at 08:40
Norwegian first launched UK flights in 2003 and is Europe’s third largest low-cost airline. The carrier operates from London Gatwick, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester Airports to 34 destinations worldwide.
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 3.9 million yearly passengers, and with 130 pilots and 300 cabin crewworking from its Gatwick base
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. flying direct from Gatwick to New York, Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of four years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliners and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for three consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards, and was also the first airline to be awarded the ‘World’s best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015 by SkyTrax.
UK press office details
+44 (0)203 8244 890
For customer service: 0330 8280854
The UK press office is available 9am to 5pm from Monday to Friday. We can assist with lead in fares, UK flight information, corporate news and aviation commentary.