Irish poet and playwright graces airline’s aircraft
LONDON, UK, 2018-Oct-18 — /Travel PR News/ — Norwegian is proud to announce that Irish poet and playwright Oscar Wilde will become its second Irish ‘tail fin hero’, ahead of the anniversary of his birthday on the 16th October. The renowned writer’s portrait graces the tail fin of two Norwegian aircraft – a Boeing 737 MAX and a Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
Since Norwegian’s first aircraft took to the skies, the airline has always honoured iconic figures on the tails of its aircraft, featuring personalities who symbolise the spirit of Norwegian by pushing boundaries, challenging the norm and inspiring others.
To represent Norwegian’s growth in Ireland, the airline has launched a second Irish tail fin hero following the announcement of explorer Tom Crean who also graces a Boeing 737 MAX and a Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft.
Born in Dublin on 16 October 1854, Oscar Wilde was a renowned Irish poet and playwright. He tried his hand at various literary activities throughout the 1880s and became one of London’s most popular playwrights. His imaginative works, in particular, his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray and his play The Importance of Being Earnest, are considered among the great literary masterpieces of the late Victorian period.
Matthew Wood, SVP Commercial Long haul and New Markets at Norwegian said: “Our ‘tail fin heroes’ offer us a perfect chance to pay tribute to some of the greatest Irish men and women of all time. Oscar Wilde has inspired generations and we are very happy to have one of the greatest poets of all time adorn our aircraft.”
Norwegian is Europe’s third largest low-cost carrier, carrying over 33 million yearly passengers to around 150 global destinations. Norwegian has been named ‘World’s Best Low-Cost Long-Haul Airline’ for the fourth consecutive year and ‘Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe’ for the sixth year in a row at the renowned Skytrax World Airline Awards.
For more information visit www.norwegian.com
Norwegian in the UK and Ireland:
- Norwegian carries 5.8 million UK passengers each year from London Gatwick, Edinburgh and Manchester Airports to 50 destinations worldwide
- Norwegian is the third largest airline at London Gatwick, with 4.6 million yearly passengers, and with more than 1,000 UK-based pilots and cabin crew
- In 2014, Norwegian introduced the UK’s first low-cost, long haul flights to the U.S. – the airline now flies to 11 U.S destinations, Buenos Aires and Singapore
- In 2017, Norwegian also launched affordable transatlantic flights from Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Shannon to the US East Coast, using the brand new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft
- Norwegian is the only airline to offer free inflight WiFi on UK flights to more than 30 European destinations
- The airline has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.7 years, including next-generation Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 737 MAX and Boeing 737-800s
- Norwegian has been voted ‘Europe’s best low-cost carrier’ by passengers for six consecutive years at SkyTrax World Airline Awards from 2013-2018, along with being awarded the ‘World’s best low-cost long-haul airline’ in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Norwegian Reward is the airline’s free to join award-winning loyalty programme offering members CashPoints and Rewards that reduce the cost of Norwegian flights
+44 (0)20 3874 6100
For customer service: 0330 8280854