- 62% of Brits refuse financial help from their parents
- Just 7% of the UK has never backpacked
- Nearly three quarters of Brits have no regrets about their trip
KENT, UK, 2014-9-10 — /Travel PR News/ — Brits are backpacking-addicts according to new research from Essential Travel. The vast majority of adults in the UK (93%) have backpacked at some point in their lives, with 70% claiming they had the time of their lives on their travels, and had absolutely no regrets about taking off into the unknown with just a backpack and a tent. Out of those that had regrets, 15% expressed that they didn’t go away for long enough!
The survey of 1,000 Brits, and commissioned by leading travel insurance provider Essential Travel, revealed that over 60% fund the entire backpacking trip themselves.
With the increase in house prices and soaring rents across the UK, a quarter of young adults, aged between 20 and 34, are still living at home* – it’s unsurprising therefore that a mere 1 in 3 adults asked their parents for help to fund the trip. Mum and Dad forked out the full amount for a fortunate 15% of backpackers, with 10% paying for half of the trip and a prudent 6% of parents matching what their offspring had saved.
The survey also revealed that a reckless 3% of backpackers threw caution to the wind, and set off without the protection of travel insurance.
Paul Paddock, of Essential Travel commented: “The research proves that the majority of backpackers had the time of their lives when travelling the world. However, those 3% that set off without insurance could have safeguarded their trip at very little expense, from just Â£25.36** for worldwide backpacker insurance. Essential Travel can even extend the length of their policy cover for those who are enjoying themselves so much that they don’t want to return home.”
With such a large proportion of backpacking adults hitting the road and returning with no regrets the research suggests that young Brits are making the most of their hard-earned cash to broaden their horizons before returning home to settle down and live independently.
For more information about Essential Travel’s Backpacker Insurance cover go to www.essentialtravel.co.uk or call: 0871 360 2712
Notes to editors:
**Price based on a 24 year old travelling worldwide for one month.
About Essential Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Medical, Cancellation, Baggage Cover (+ more)
- Includes working abroad and volunteering
- Up to two years continual cover
- 24 hour emergency assistance
Backpacker Insurance from only Â£8 per Month*
Prices based on 1 European Backpacker Policy for 1 adult 18 years old, 2 years trip duration.
- Covers medical emergencies, cancellation & curtailment, lost luggage costs.
- Provides up to two years continual protection that can be purchased 60 days in advance and is available for anyone aged between 18 – 55 years old (inclusive)
- Allows cover for non-manual work such as; restaurant and bar work, fruit picking, volunteering etc.
- Covers one trip home of up to 14 days
- Covers student travel
- Added optional extras available – winter sports, excess waivers, extra adrenalin sports etc.
- A choice of three cover levels with four areas of cover – UK, Europe, Worldwide including or excluding North America and the Caribbean.
For more information contact: email@example.com
Lucre – 020 8741 5900
Jodie Hart, Max Irvine
Essential Travel offers great value travel insurance that is quick and easy to book; alongside all the other extras that make the holiday safer, cheaper and easier. EssentialTravel.co.uk is part of the Holiday Extras Group. Holiday Extras makes bookings for over 7 million travellers each year and the company was awarded 10th place in in The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2014. To book an Essential extra please visit Essential Travel
About Essential Travel
Established in 2001, Essential Travel is one of the UK’s leading online travel essentials companies. Since 2002, we’ve protected over 5 million holidaymakers with our fully-comprehensive, competitively-priced travel insurance, as well as providing priority access to the most sought after car parks, hotels and lounges at all major airports across the UK.
Essential Travel is now part of Holiday Extras.