PLUS: SUMMER OPERATIONS OFF TO A GREAT START, BOTH MOUNTAINS NOW OPEN INCLUDING PEAK EXPRESS, GLACIER SKIING, ALPINE HIKING, MOUNTAIN BIKING AND MORE
Canada, 2017-Jul-08 — /Travel PR News/ — The third Blackcomb Ascent Trail, Heart Burn, will open on July 8 giving guests access from the valley bottom to the Rendezvous Lodge. The Blackcomb Ascent Trails are three new interconnected uphill hiking trails that meander through beautiful old growth coastal rain forest terrain into sub-alpine vistas offering stunning viewscapes from Whistler’s valley bottom to the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb Mountain. The three trails, Little Burn, Big Burn and Heart Burn, travel a total of 6.1 kilometres with a total elevation gain of 1,200 metres (3,937 feet).
“We are excited to see the opening of the Blackcomb Ascent Trails designed to showcase the beauty and diversity of Blackcomb Mountain,” says Arthur De Jong, mountain planning and environmental resource manager at Whistler Blackcomb. “This allows guests to maximize the health benefits of a continuous uphill climb while avoiding the pounding of downhill hiking by downloading using our lift system if they so choose.”
The trails were strategically built to provide various starting and finishing points which allow guests to design a custom experience that fits various fitness objectives and available time. Environmental education is embedded into the entire Blackcomb Ascent Trail experience. Phase one, which includes the first two sections of trail from the valley to the top of the Wizard Express chairlift, opened last summer. Phase two, which includes the third section of trail from the top of Wizard Express to the Rendezvous Lodge, will open on Saturday, July 8 with continued improvements being done throughout the rest of the summer and fall.
The Blackcomb Ascent Trails are designed as an uphill hiking experience. For guests who want to access the Blackcomb chairlifts on the way down, the Blackcomb Ascent Download Only ticket is $15 (CAD). Alternatively, guests have the option to purchase a Blackcomb Ascent Trail ticket for $30 (CAD) allowing guests to ride the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola after hiking to the top of the Wizard Express or Solar Coaster Express. Both options are free for Whistler Blackcomb PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Pass or Day Ticket holders. Tickets must be purchased from Guest Services at the base of Blackcomb Mountain prior to hiking. More information available at https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/blackcomb-ascent-trail.
For those guests looking for activity options beyond alpine hiking and running, Whistler Blackcomb’s summer PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience is ramping up, featuring summer sightseeing, a number of mountain-top dining options and a variety of on-mountain tours. For guests who want to save time, Whistler Blackcomb’s electronic tickets provide direct to lift access. Guests can choose from having the tickets directly on their smartphone or printing them at home. Whistler Blackcomb’s PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience highlights include:
- Alpine Hiking on Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains, ride our chairlifts and gondolas to access over 50 kilometres of trails in the height of summer. The Blackcomb Alpine Walk is now open for the season with more trails opening up every week as the snow melts. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/alpine-trails
- Lunch at Christine’s on Blackcomb. Now open daily from 11:30am to 4:00pm, Christine’s on Blackcomb features a scenic patio and a fresh summer menu. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-village/dining/christines-restaurant.
- The Mountain Top Summer Feast series, which serves up mouth-watering mains, fresh salads and delicious deserts every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at the Roundhouse Lodge. The Mountain Top Summer Feast series also features live entertainment and stunning views at 6,000 feet on Whistler Mountain. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/mountain-top-summer-feast.
- The new Whistler Film Festival Summer Cinema Series featuring four, free, family friendly, outdoor movie nights every Wednesday from July 19 to August 9 in the Creekside Village. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/events/2017/07/summer-cimema-series.
- Blackcomb Helicopter Sightseeing Tours on Blackcomb Mountain, offering guests unique aerial views of the breathtaking alpine environment. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/whistler-heli-tours.
- Geology and Ecology Tours, beginning June 24, offer guests a guided journey of Whistler Blackcomb’s key geological milestones. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/geology-and-ecology-tour.
- The new Samsung Alpine Theatre in the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb Mountain is now open and ready for guests viewing pleasure. Video content includes an educational journey, “Limitless Discovery” where viewers will discover the many sides of the PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/samsung-alpine-theatre.
- The Winemaker Dinner Series at Steeps Grill & Wine Bar on Whistler Mountain with Winemaker Randy Pichton of Nk’Mip on July 29. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/on-mountain-dining/winemaker-dinner.
Guests interested in learning more about Whistler Blackcomb’s PEAK 2 PEAK 360 Experience can visit https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/discover/360-experience.
Guests looking to plan a trip to the consistently rated No. 1 Mountain Resort in North America can visit whistlerblackcomb.com/purchase/deals-packages or call 1-888-403-4727.
About Whistler Blackcomb
Whistler Blackcomb, the official alpine skiing venue for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, is situated in the Resort Municipality of Whistler located in the Coast Mountains of British Columbia 125 kilometres (78 miles) from Vancouver, British Columbia. Whistler and Blackcomb are two side-by-side mountains which, combined, offer over 200 marked runs, 8,171 acres of terrain, 16 alpine bowls, three glaciers, receive on average 1,170 centimetres (461 inches) of snow annually, have one of the longest ski seasons in North America, and are a part of the premier mountain resort network, Vail Resorts. In the summer, Whistler Blackcomb offers a variety of activities, including hiking and biking trails, the Whistler Mountain Bike Park, and sightseeing on the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola.
Media Notes: Whistler Blackcomb is pleased to provide high resolution photographs available for editorial use, downloadable at the following link: http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/media/photos/photos.asp
SOURCE: Whistler Blackcomb