PERTH, Scotland, 2017-Jun-28 — /Travel PR News/ — Stagecoach today (27 June) confirmed that it has appointed a new Managing Director of its East Scotland operations.
Paul Thomas, who has more than 30 years’ experience in the bus industry, will take up his new post from 10 July.
He will take on responsibility for Stagecoach East Scotland which has a fleet of over 500 buses and employs more than 1300 staff, carrying 35million passengers a year.
Paul Thomas began his career as an apprentice mechanic in 1985, and worked his way into managerial posts before reaching managing director level. Most recently, Paul has been Managing Director, UK Bus for National Express, with responsibility for their National Express West Midlands and Xplore Dundee bus companies, along with the Midland Metro tram operation. Prior to that, Paul spent several years as Managing Director with First Scotland East.
Stagecoach Scotland Managing Director Robert Andrew said: “I am pleased to welcome Paul to Stagecoach. His vast experience in the industry and his previous experience within East Scotland mean he will be a great asset to our East Scotland operation. I look forward to working with him to tackle the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.”
Paul Thomas said: “I am delighted to be taking on this new role and very much look forward to returning to East Scotland which is an area I know well. I know there’s a great team there already who work hard to deliver excellent customer service and strong operational performance and I’m looking forward to working with them, and our many partners in the area, to deliver even better bus services for local people.”
- Stagecoach Group is an international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, the United States and Canada. The Group employs around 40,000 people, and operates around 13,000 buses, coaches, trains and trams.
- Stagecoach is one of the UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,500 buses and coaches on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates a network of inter-city services across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast rail franchise. It also has a 90% shareholding in Virgin Trains East Coast, which operates the East Coast rail franchise.
- Stagecoach operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,300 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. megabus.com links around 130 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter, transit, contracted, charter, airport shuttle and sightseeing services.
Stagecoach Group Communications