“We’re thrilled to enhance the inflight Guest experience with the addition of new-generation Wi-Fi,” said Ted Christie, Spirit Airline’s President. “By next summer, every plane in our fleet should be fully equipped to keep our Guests connected in the skies. It’s just one of the many investments we’ve made and will continue to make for our Guests.”
Spirit Airlines Wi-Fi technology partner, Thales Group, a global technology leader for decisive moments in aerospace, defense and security, and transportation markets, is bringing the high-end Ka-band HTS (High Throughput Satellite) system onboard the aircraft. The technology will bring Spirit Guests high-speed web browsing and streaming experiences similar to what they would find at home. In 2021, the state-of-the-art technology will get even better, with the launch of SES-17, a new satellite operated by SES and built by Thales Alenia Space, which will increase speeds and coverage to an unprecedented level in the industry. Spirit Wi-Fi is projected to provide service coverage immediately for 97% of Spirit’s routes upon entry into service.
“Thales is proud to be partnering with Spirit to mark a new era of Guest experience in connectivity and bring solutions that make tomorrow possible today,” said Dominique Giannoni, CEO of Thales InFlyt Experience. “We are focused on supporting Spirit’s mission and helping to shape new opportunities as we work together to provide an exceptional passenger experience.”
Spirit will offer high-speed web browsing and streaming options starting with an average price of $6.50, with a cost range expected to be lower or higher based on the route and demand.
Spirit’s Commitment to Invest in the Guest
Spirit Wi-Fi is one of many improvements coming up for the airline, as part of its pledge to keep improving and Invest in the Guest.
“We understand that flying for as little money as possible is only part of our promise,” said Christie. “We promise to go further. We’ll continue to listen to our Guests, and they’ll continue to see our dedication to improving service for them. We’ll keep adding exciting new destinations, improving our check-in process, frequent flier program and inflight experience, as well as continuing to dedicate ourselves to give back to the communities where we live and work.”
Christie introduced Spirit’s Invest in the Guest pledge with the announcement of Wi-Fi installation.
“Our promise is to keep going, to keep improving, and to invest in our Guests,” said Christie as part of the pledge. “We intend to improve our Guests’ experience every chance we get.”
A video message by Spirit Airlines President Ted Christie delivering the Guest pledge, information on improvements made by Spirit, commitments to Guests, and future initiatives can be found at InvestInTheGuest.com.
Spirit wants to hear directly from Guests about new ways to keep improving. Guests who share their thoughts or requests at InvestInTheGuest.com will be entered to win free round-trip tickets.
Spirit Airlines’ Guest Commitments
Spirit Airlines is committed to improving the Guest experience and unveiled the following Guest commitments:
• Performance Promise – The commitment to get Guests to their destinations on time.
- Spirit is one of the top airlines for on-time performance, according to DOT statistics over the past several months.
- With the youngest planes in the U.S., Spirit has added 12 brand-new planes in the last six months to their Fit Fleet® to get Guests where they are going safely and reliably. Spirit consistently ranks as one of the most fuel-efficient airlines in the U.S.
• Improving the Experience – The commitment to improve every aspect of Guests’ journey based on feedback.
- All Flight Attendants now attend a robust inflight Guest Service Training Program developed in partnership with a world-class hospitality leader. This program will roll out to all of Spirit’s airport teams this summer, in a continued effort to better serve our 23 million Guests annually.
• À La Smarte – The commitment to give Guests more choices when it comes to how they fly and how they save.
- Spirit’s latest technology initiatives allow Guests to have more control over their booking, check-in and travel experience, including a mobile-friendly website, Spirit Check-In App, new airport kiosks and self bag tagging.
- This year, Spirit expanded its network to include Columbus, Ohio, Richmond, Va., Guayaquil, Ecuador, Cap-Haïtien, Haiti, and St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, in addition to adding even more routes to some of the best vacation destinations in the world.
• Giving Spirit – The commitment to give back to the communities where Spirit lives and works.
- This year, Spirit has supported more than 100 charities and community organizations with countless flights and volunteer hours.
About Thales Group:
The people we all rely on to make the world go round – they rely on Thales. Our customers come to us with big ambitions: to make life better, to keep us safer. Combining a unique diversity of expertise, talents and cultures, our architects design and deliver extraordinary high technology solutions. Solutions that make tomorrow possible, today. From the bottom of the oceans to the depth of space and cyberspace, we help our customers think smarter and act faster – mastering ever greater complexity and every decisive moment along the way. With 65,000 employees in 56 countries, Thales reported sales of $18 billion in 2017.
For more than 100 years, Thales has conducted significant research and development, manufacturing, and service capabilities in the U.S. Today, Thales is present in 13 states operating 23 different facilities. Working closely with US customers and local partners, Thales is able to meet the most complex requirements for every operating environment.
About Spirit Airlines:
Spirit Airlines (NYSE:SAVE) is committed to offering the lowest total price to the places we fly, on average more than 30% lower than other airlines*. Our customers start with an unbundled Bare Fare® and get Frill Control® which allows them to pay only for the options they choose — like bags, seat assignments and refreshments — the things other airlines bake right into their ticket prices. We help people save money and travel more often, create new jobs and stimulate business growth in the communities we serve. Our Fit Fleet® is the youngest and one of most fuel-efficient in the U.S. We operate more than 500 daily flights to 65 destinations in the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean. Come save with us at spirit.com.
*Based on DOT data and verified by Campbell-Hill Aviation Group, LLC.
Spirit: Stephen Schuler
Stephen.Schuler@spirit.comThales: Adam Kostecki
Source: Spirit Airlines, Inc.