- Airport’s public profile reimagined with new brand name, logo, colors, and tagline
- Artist’s conceptual rendering of an entrance sign at San José Mineta International Airport reflecting the new SJC logo.
San José, Calif., 2023-Jan-28 — /Travel PR News/ — San José Mineta International Airport (SJC) announced its official changeover to a new brand identity. The comprehensive changes come after an extensive process by SJC, aimed at resolving lingering challenges around name and brand recognition for customers around the world. The new branding initiative means an overhaul of SJC’s public-facing identity, including a new brand name, logo, colors, tagline, and marketing materials. Today’s switchover begins the process of incorporating the slate of new brand elements, which will occur over the next several months.
“We are thrilled to re-introduce Silicon Valley’s airport to the world with these new brand elements,” said John Aitken, Director of Aviation at SJC. “The process of examining and redeveloping our brand identity was crucial in helping us develop a deeper understanding of our community and what we needed to do to ensure we provide the best possible experience to our passengers and visitors.”
WHAT’S IN A NAME?
The new brand name, San José Mineta International Airport, was selected to lead with location, helping travelers find SJC and strengthen the geographical association with San José. It also moves “Mineta” to the heart (center) of the name, and uses fewer words, which simplifies the visual identity and reflects the SJC’s brand promise of a streamlined airport experience. The name change only applies to the Airport’s public brand. An official name change would require action by City elected officials.
In addition to the new brand name, the new brand identity package includes a new logo, and other visual elements that will be reflected across SJC’s signage, bus wraps, advertising, and communications materials for the Airport.
PROCESS AND RESEARCH
The Airport’s rebranding effort is a result of an extensive strategic research and brand development process conducted by SJC and marketing consultant, GALE Partners. Multiple market research studies identified brand elements that resonate with the local community and travelers around the world. The research indicated that travelers did not widely associate the Airport’s previous branding with San José or the Bay Area.
NEW BRAND ELEMENTS
The new design elements incorporate updated colors and graphics and are designed to provide consistency, accessibility, and familiarity across all customer touchpoints.
New Brand Name: San José Mineta International Airport
New Tagline: Fly Simple.
New Logo: The new logo features a modern graphic identity that reflects the vibrancy and energy of Silicon Valley while providing simple and intuitive design elements. The new logo, presented vertically and horizontally, depicts the concept of “forward motion.” It is a simplified combination of symbols commonly found while traveling through an airport — an overhead view of an airplane, its wings, and airfield directional symbols:
New Colors: The new brand’s colors were inspired by San Jose’s culture and sense of place – including the City flag and local climate – warmth, sun, poppies, and ocean. The new logo color palette literally represents the sky.
MIDNIGHT is the primary brand color, representing professionalism and the promise of innovation. Featured colors include Dawn, Dusk, Sky, and Cloud.
NOTES TO EDITOR
- The Airport has maintained the same logo and related branding elements for nearly 30 years.
- The incorporation of US Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta’s name in 2001 made San José one of the few airports in the world to be named after a living person. Secretary Mineta passed away on May 3, 2022.
- June 23, 2020: authorization from City Council to negotiate up to five Master Consultant Agreements with marketing firms to support the marketing strategy and execution, including conducting research and making recommendations.
- November 2020: GALE was awarded the bid for a multi-year, comprehensive review of the Airport’s brand identity to investigate whether its brand identity continues to best represent the unique value the Airport offers travelers within the competitive Bay Area air travel market.
About SJC: Transforming How Silicon Valley Travels
Fueled by a culture of innovation, San José Mineta International Airport (SJC) is the Bay Area’s easiest and most dependable airport due to its medium size, simple layout, temperate climate, and inland location. Just minutes from downtown San José, SJC is a convenient gateway to Northern California and the Silicon Valley region, providing nonstop service across North America and to Europe and Asia. SJC is a self‐supporting enterprise owned and operated by the City of San José.
For more airport information, visit flysanjose.com, and follow us on social media.
Source: San José Mineta International Airport (SJC)