SAN DIEGO, 2014-6-27 — /Travel PR News/ — The Green Build expansion project at San Diego International Airport has earned the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority a Golden Watchdog Award from the San Diego County Taxpayers Association for efficient use of tax dollars.
The Airport Authority received the award during the San Diego County Taxpayer Association’s annual Golden Watchdog and Golden Fleece Awards dinner on June 17.
The Taxpayers Association noted that “the Green Build was completed on-time and came in approximately $45 million under budget … and it’s awesome.”
The Green Build opened to travelers on August 13, 2013, marking completion of the largest improvement project in the airport’s history. It includes:
- 10 new gates to reduce terminal congestion and provide expanded, more comfortable passenger waiting areas
- Dual-level roadway to relieve curb-front traffic congestion by separating arriving and departing passengers
- Enhanced curbside check-in, allowing passengers to print boarding passes, check baggage and view gate information at easy-to-use curbside kiosks before entering the terminal
- More security lanes to improve flow of passengers
- Expanded concession area providing more dining and shopping options
- The nation’s largest airport USO Center
The award marks the second time the Airport Authority has earned a Golden Watchdog award from the Taxpayers Association. In 2011, it was recognized for the sale of $573 million in bonds to fund The Green Build at a borrowing cost of 4.38 percent, which was the lowest in the nation for an airport-related, long-term bond sale. It is estimated that the favorable interest rate will save the Airport Authority nearly $40 million over the life of the bonds.
The San Diego County Taxpayers Association is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to promoting accountable, cost-effective and efficient government and opposing unnecessary new taxes and fees. It was founded in 1945.
Contact: Rebecca Bloomfield
619.400.2880 / email@example.com
# # #
Mastering the Art of Airports