Denham, United Kingdom, 2019-Apr-04 — /Travel PR News/ — InterContinental® Hotels Group (IHG®), one of the world’s leading hotel companies, has announced plans to open a new Hotel Indigo in the Spanish capital. The Hotel Indigo® Madrid – Princesa will be one of seven IHG boutique hotels opening in key cities across Southern Europe in the next three to five years.
The announcement was made during the 19th WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council) Global Summit in Seville, Spain, which brings together influential figures from around the world to address the challenges and opportunities facing the Travel & Tourism industry.
The Hotel Indigo Madrid – Princesa is set to open its doors in Autumn 2019 in the Moncloa-Argüelles area, a key location in the Spanish capital within walking distance of the city’s main business and leisure districts. Developed in partnership with Hotel Collection International, a Luxembourg-based third party operating company which currently operates four IHG properties, the hotel will feature 100 design-led rooms inspired by local culture and history, a destination restaurant, fitness centre and access to a stunning rooftop with sweeping views of the city.
The move builds on Hotel Indigo’s strong growth as one of the largest boutique brands in this fast-growing segment. Having recently celebrated opening in 100 vibrant neighbourhoods around the world, Hotel Indigo made 33 new hotel signings in 2018 and is now set to double its portfolio over the next three to five years. Current open properties in Southern Europe include Madrid (Gran Via), Barcelona, Rome and Paris, with pipeline developments opening in Venice, Milan and Belgrade in 2019, Verona in 2020, and Gibraltar in 2021.
Eric Viale, Managing Director Southern Europe, IHG, commented: “The strong growth of openings and pipeline of our Hotel Indigo and Kimpton brands reflect the opportunity across the boutique hotel sector, which is among the fastest growing in the industry. With appetite for unique, design-led hotels continuing to increase across Southern European markets, we are perfectly placed to take advantage of that growth and look forward to welcoming guests from around the world to these popular and historic locations.”
Sebastian Lodder, CEO, Hotel Collection International, commented: “We look forward to partnering once again with IHG on this exciting project and tapping into its world-class systems and expertise. Madrid’s rich arts and culture scene make it a great fit for Hotel Indigo, and we’re delighted be able to bring this world-class lifestyle brand to the popular business and leisure district of Moncloa-Argüelles.”
Together with IHG’s leading luxury boutique brand, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, IHG’s boutique portfolio makes up almost 170 hotels globally, with nearly 120 more hotels in the development pipeline. Having doubled its number of signings in 2018, the Kimpton brand has secured a presence in 14 countries and is set to expand across Southern Europe with stunning properties opening in Barcelona at the end of 2019 and Paris in Summer 2020.
There are currently 186 IHG hotels (over 3,000 rooms) open across Southern Europe – 27 of which are in Spain – and 31 hotels in the pipeline*
*Figures as of 31 December, 2018
Notes to the editors
Hotel Indigo serves the curious – people who are inspired by new places, new people and new ideas. With hotels in culturally diverse locations all over the world, no two properties are the same. Each is part of the pulse and the rhythm of a place, drawing inspiration from the local neighbourhood, culture and popular trends in food, drink and design to create a warm and vibrant atmosphere. With its ambition to ‘make travel inspiring’, Hotel Indigo provides a gateway to discover and explore some of the world’s most inspiring cities and neighbourhoods. Established in 2004, Hotel Indigo now has a presence in more than 15 countries with 102 open hotels and nearly 100 hotels in the pipeline. Currently, the brand has its largest number of hotels in the US, where there are more than 50 hotels, and Europe, where there are over 30, from the UK to Spain and Russia. In January this year Hotel Indigo celebrated opening in 100 vibrant neighbourhoods around the world.
Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants
As the industry pioneer that first introduced the boutique concept to the US in 1981, San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is renowned for making travellers feel genuinely cared for through thoughtful perks and amenities, inventive meetings and events, bold and playful design, and a sincerely personal style of guest service. The brand’s heartfelt approach to hospitality has translated to unique, design-led hotels across city centers, beachside resorts, mountain getaways, and more. Anchored in one-of-a-kind experiences, Kimpton now operates more than 60 hotels and 78 restaurants, bars and lounges across urban locations, resort destinations and up-and-coming markets in the United States, Canada, Europe, Caribbean and Greater China.
Upcoming IHG boutique openings:
- Kimpton Barcelona – Located in the city’s Gothic Quarter, Kimpton Barcelona will feature 156 rooms, as well as an all-day dining restaurant and a rooftop swimming pool with unparalleled views of the city. The neighbourhood, full of trendy boutiques and restaurants, is a favorite of visitors and locals alike, and provides the perfect base from which to explore.
- Hotel Indigo Milan – Corso Monforte – Situated in fashion Stazione Centrale district of Milan, the hotel will have 56 locally-inspired rooms overlooking the rooftops of Milan’s ancient centre, modern facilities such as rainfall showers, Restaurant Mezzo with international dishes, and a courtyard bar for pre-dinner aperitivi.
- Hotel Indigo Gibraltar – Located close to the Old Town and just a five-minute drive from Gibraltar International Airport, the ~120-room hotel will be entirely reconfigured with a new facade and rooftop extension. Alongside the onsite gym, the hotel will also have a destination restaurant and bar designed to attract locals as well as guests.
- Hotel Indigo Venice – Sant’Elena – Due to open as a Hotel Indigo in 2019, Hotel Indigo Venice – Sant’Elena is located next to the canal ‘Rio Sant’ Elena’ within walking distance to the Castello district, a 15-minute walk from St Marco Square. The 77-room hotel will boast an interior courtyard and large windows with high ceilings, which draw inspiration from the local neighbourhood and existing architecture.
- Hotel Indigo Belgrade – The first Hotel Indigo in Belgrade will be located on Cika Ljubina Street, featuring interior designs that reflect Serbian culture and tradition, a restaurant in the atrium serving locally-inspired dishes, a bar and an onsite gym.
IHG® (InterContinental Hotels Group) [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of hotel brands, including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton®Hotels & Restaurants, Hotel Indigo®, EVEN® Hotels, HUALUXE® Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Holiday Inn Club Vacations®,Holiday Inn Resort®, avid™ hotels, Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites®.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns nearly 5,400 hotels and 800,000 guest rooms in almost 100 countries, with more than 1,700 hotels in its development pipeline. IHG also manages IHG® Rewards Club, our global loyalty programme, which has more than 100 million enrolled members.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group’s holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales. More than 375,000 people work across IHG’s hotels and corporate offices globally.
Visit www.ihg.com for hotel information and reservations and www.ihgrewardsclub.com for more on IHG Rewards Club. For our latest news, visit: www.ihgplc.com/media and follow us on social media at: www.twitter.com/ihg, www.facebook.com/ihg and www.youtube.com/ihgplc.
For further information please contact:
+44 (0) 7970 889 317
+44 (0) 7880 091 669