SJC shares insights and tips for Independence Day holiday travel
San José, Calif., 2023-Jul-03 — /Travel PR News/ — Officials at San José Mineta International Airport (SJC) announce that its Fourth of July holiday travel period commences and extends through July 6th. Peak travel for the seven-day holiday travel period is expected today, Friday, June 30th, and on Thursday and Friday of next week, July 6th and 7th, respectively.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has, likewise, released its projections for this year’s Independence Day travel, noting that it also expects June 30th to be the busiest travel day nationwide.
“We continue to be pleased at the number of travelers choosing SJC as the summer travel period progresses,” said John Aitken, Director of Aviation at San José Mineta International Airport. “The Airport and our partners are ready with amenities to welcome travelers, as well as staffing at our checkpoints, in the terminals, and on the curbside to help our customers remain focused on the excitement of summer vacation.”
The busy summer holiday travel period comes as the airport releases its most recent monthly passenger traffic reports, which indicate a 4.5% increase in May passenger traffic, and a rolling 12-month total of 12.08 million. The Airport said that it expects to see summer travel metrics grow compared to last year – particularly with the addition of Spirit Airlines’ new daily service to San Diego and Dallas/Fort Worth and twice daily service to Las Vegas.
As always, holiday travelers are encouraged to allow extra time for longer lines at TSA passenger screening checkpoints, use SJC’s online Parking Reservation System, and check in with Airlines for updates prior to arriving at the Airport.
For those driving to the Airport, parking reservations and real-time parking availability status are available online on the Airport’s website.
More tips and reminders for safe and easy travel this summer:
- ARRIVE EARLY – 2 hours prior to departure allows plenty of time for check-in and security screening… and to stop in one of our new eateries. Jim Stump’s Taproom + Kitchen, Jamba, and Runway Deli are new in Terminal B. You can find The Club SJC at Gate 8 and at Gate 15 in Terminal A.
- Always wear socks when traveling to avoid having to go barefoot if TSA screening requires you to remove your footwear.
- Empty your pockets before arriving at the TSA screening checkpoint to reduce your contact with surfaces and reduce waiting times.
- Check in online before arriving at the Airport. Mobile boarding passes are accepted at SJC, however, a printed pass can be helpful if a mobile device experiences power or connectivity issues.
- Even with a boarding pass, reconfirm airline flight status before leaving for the airport.
- Be vigilant about plugging in devices into public outlets. Look out for signs of tampering.
- Do not attempt to bring firearms or prohibited items through the Security Checkpoint.
For travelers with hidden disabilities:
For those traveling with a disability that is not visually obvious, the Airport offers the Sunflower Lanyard Program. SJC staff are thoroughly trained to assist travelers wearing a Sunflower Lanyard, which identifies travelers wearing it as having need of additional attention and/or support at the Airport. Travelers may obtain a Sunflower Lanyard at airline check-in counters, Airport Information Booths when staffed, or by making arrangements in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About San José Mineta International Airport (SJC): Fly Simple
Fueled by a culture of innovation, San José Mineta International Airport (SJC) is the Bay Area’s easiest and most dependable airport due to its medium size, simple layout, temperate climate, and inland location. Just minutes from downtown San José, SJC is a convenient gateway to Northern California and the Silicon Valley region, providing nonstop service across North America and to Europe and Asia. SJC is a self‐supporting enterprise owned and operated by the City of San José. For more airport information, visit flysanjose.com. Connect with SJC on social media at flysanjose.com/follow.
SJC Media Relations
Source: San José Mineta International Airport (SJC)