Focus remains on health and safety as passenger traffic increases
SAN JOSÉ, CA, 2022-May-27 — /Travel PR News/ — Passenger traffic at Mineta San José International Airport (SJC) is climbing toward Memorial Day weekend, and the Airport welcomes passengers back with health and safety measures deployed throughout its terminals. During this Memorial Day holiday weekend, which extends from Thursday, May 26, through Monday, May 30, SJC expects to see approximately 181,000 passengers. This compares to roughly 116,000 passengers during the same period last year, and approximately 217,000 passengers during the pre-pandemic Memorial Day holiday period in 2019.
SJC encourages travelers to plan ahead for longer security lines, especially in the early mornings during the peak hours between 5:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. This year, the Airport expects its busiest Memorial Day holiday travel days to be Thursday, May 26, Friday, May 27, and Monday, May 30, with approximately 40,000 travelers expected on each of those days. Airport officials said that SJC has seen increases in passenger traffic since the start of Spring.
“We are pleased to see more people traveling as summer approaches, and our teams are preparing for strong numbers this Memorial Day weekend,” said John Aitken, Director of Aviation at Mineta San José International Airport. “We are as committed as ever to keeping our staff, customers, and facilities safe and healthy, and we thank our partners and each person in our terminals for doing your part as well.”
Passengers and Airport employees are highly encouraged to wear face coverings at the Airport. Everyone can contribute to safer travel by social distancing from others, washing and/or sanitizing hands frequently, and avoiding travel when sick.
The Airport continues to invest in health and safety measures SJC has implemented the following measures to help keep staff and visitors safe:
• SJC was the first California airport to earn GBAC STAR™ Facility Accreditation, which globally recognizes our commitment to having the highest levels of cleanliness and safety
• Regular, deep cleanings using electrostatic sprayers to disinfect hard-to-reach areas
• Hand sanitizing stations in high-touch points areas throughout the terminals
• Partitions in restrooms between faucets and urinals to provide additional
• All escalator handrails have ultraviolet light (UVC) devices installed to disinfect handrail surfaces killing up to 99.9% of bacteria and viruses
• Security checkpoint bins layered with Microban technology, which kills 99.9% of bacteria
For more information about SJC’s health and safety measures, visit
Plan Ahead for On-Airport Parking
SJC has improved and increased its parking amenities to help make travel easier. Upgrades include a new Economy Parking Lot, new Parking Reservation System, and touchless entry/exit capabilities.
Airport Parking Rates are as follows:
Economy Lot 1 – $18/day
Parking Lot 2 (Terminal A Garage), Lot 4, and Lot 5 – $24 per day
Parking Lot 3 (Terminal B Garage) – $30 per day
Travelers can check parking availability and rates before heading to SJC in one of two ways:
• For real-time parking status at SJC, visit https://www.flysanjose.com/parking, or
• Call SJC’s parking services team at 408-441-5570 — anytime, any day
Reminders and Tips for Safe and Easy Traveling this Summer:
These additional travel tips and reminders will help get passengers to their boarding gate safely and faster:
• ARRIVE EARLY to allow for longer check-in and security lines.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and clean your hands.
• Always wear socks when traveling, so if you need to remove your footwear for TSA screening you are not barefoot.
• Place items from your pockets inside your carry-on bag before arriving at the TSA screening checkpoint to reduce your contact with surfaces and reduce waiting times.
• TSA allows one up to 12-ounce liquid hand sanitizer container per passenger in carry-on bags.
• Check in online in advance and print a boarding pass. Mobile boarding passes are accepted at SJC, however, a printed pass can be helpful if a mobile device experiences power or connectivity issues.
• Even with a boarding pass, reconfirm airline flight status before leaving for the airport. Flight schedules may change at the departure or arrival city due to weather or other factors.
SJC: Transforming How Silicon Valley Travels Mineta San José International Airport (SJC) is Silicon Valley’s airport, a self‐supporting enterprise owned and operated by the City of San Jose. For more airport information, visit https://www.flysanjose.com.
Source: Mineta San José International Airport (SJC)