BETHESDA, Md., 2016-Dec-09 — /Travel PR News/ — Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (NYSE:HST) announced today new 2020 greenhouse gas emissions, energy, water and waste targets after meeting its 2017 goals ahead of schedule. Based on the success of its programs to date, the Company elected to increase and expand its efforts to reduce the environmental footprint of its portfolio.
The Company is one of the first Fortune 500 companies and the first hospitality company to have their emissions target approved by the Science Based Targets initiative, which aims to have companies commit to bolder emissions targets in line with science to keep global warming below the 2 degree threshold.
2020 Environmental Targets:
- Reduce Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions per square foot by 28%*
- Reduce energy consumption per square foot by 15%*
- Reduce water consumption per occupied room by 25%*
- Divert waste from at least 50% of major renovation projects (new metric)
*All metrics are based on improvements from the Company’s baseline of 2008.
“We are delighted that our strategic decision to invest in fiscally responsible sustainability projects resulted in exceeding all of our goals two years ahead of schedule,” said Rick Werber, Senior Vice President, Engineering and Sustainability. “The Company is committed to researching and executing on sustainable systems and technologies that will help us reduce the environmental impact on our communities.”
Environmental Performance at a glance:
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Reduced Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 24.0% per square foot from 2008-2015
- Avoided an estimated 35,000 metric tons of emissions compared to 2014, which is equivalent to taking over 7,000 cars off the road or providing electricity for over 5,000 homes for one year according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Reduced energy use per square foot by 12.8% from 2008-2015
- Avoided an estimated 86,000 megawatt hours of energy compared to 2014 through energy efficiency improvements
- Reduced water consumption per occupied room by 22.2% from 2008-2015
- Avoided an estimated 72.8M gallons of water compared to 2014 despite increased occupancy through water efficiency upgrade initiatives
For additional information on Host’s Corporate Responsibility Program, visit www.hosthotels.com.
About Host Hotels & Resorts
Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. is an S&P 500 and Fortune 500 company and is the largest lodging real estate investment trust and one of the largest owners of luxury and upper-upscale hotels. The Company currently owns 89 properties in the United States and 7 properties internationally totaling approximately 54,000 rooms. The Company also holds non-controlling interests in six joint ventures, including one in Europe that owns 10 hotels with approximately 3,900 rooms and one in Asia that has interests in five hotels in India. Guided by a disciplined approach to capital allocation and aggressive asset management, the Company partners with premium brands such as Marriott®, Ritz-Carlton®, Westin®, Sheraton®, W®, St. Regis®, Le Meridien®, The Luxury Collection®, Hyatt®, Fairmont®, Hilton®, Swissôtel®, ibis®, Pullman®, and Novotel® as well as independent brands in the operation of properties in over 50 major markets worldwide. For additional information, please visit the Company’s website at www.hosthotels.com.
*This press release contains registered trademarks that are the exclusive property of their respective owners. None of the owners of these trademarks has any responsibility or liability for any information contained in this press release.
SOURCE: Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc.