- Members will receive up to nine Avios per £1 spent on flights, as well as collecting on additional purchases such as pre-paid seat selection and upgrades
- This investment in the airline’s frequent flyer programme forecasts that 20 per cent more Avios will be issued to the airline’s customer base when compared to the current model
- British Airways customers can collect Avios on everyday shopping with more partners than ever before, including Uber and American Express
London, UK, 2023-Oct-21 — /Travel PR News/ — British Airways Executive Club Members booking flights will collect Avios based on the cost of their ticket.
In a move to offer a more consistent and transparent system, the airline announced in July that the amount of Avios collected will be based on the cost of a ticket, instead of the distance of the flight, for flights booked from 18 October 2023.
For the first time, the change also includes the ability to collect Avios on eligible ancillary purchases, including pre-paid selection, upgrades, and excess baggage.
The investment in the airline’s frequent flyer programme forecasts that 20 per cent more Avios will be issued to the overall member base, with most Members either collecting more, or the same amount, under the new model.
Members booking flights from today will collect the following quantity of Avios depending on their Tier status:
- Blue members will receive 6 Avios per qualifying* £1 spent
- Bronze members will receive 7 Avios per qualifying £1 spent
- Silver members will receive 8 Avios per qualifying £1 spent
- Gold members will receive 9 Avios per qualifying £1 spent
This new model will also apply to flights marketed by Iberia** and American Airlines.
Colm Lacy, British Airways’ Chief Commercial Offer, said: “In line with other airlines and loyalty schemes, we are making collecting Avios as simple and consistent as we can for our customers. With our forecast showing that we’ll be issuing more Avios, we’re looking forward to helping many of our Members get one step closer to their next trip away.
“As well as investing in this new way of collecting Avios, we continue to make it easier for Members to collect as part of their everyday spend – from their daily commute and weekly shop to morning coffee and treating themselves.”
There are a large number of ways that Members can collect Avios in day-to-day life, including spending on the British Airways American Express Credit Card, travelling with Uber, converting Nectar points and shopping on the British Airways Avios eStore. With more than 1,500 outlets to select from, savvy shoppers can earn Avios from any purchase that they make when visiting www.shopping.ba.com.For more information and full terms and conditions, visit www.ba.com/executiveclub
Notes to editors
*Qualifying costs include:
- The base fare and carrier-imposed-charges on commercial tickets any British Airways, American Airlines and Iberia marketed flights
- Upgrades (online or airport), pre-paid seating charges or excess baggage on any British Airways and Iberia marketed and operated flights
**Please note that the amount of Avios collected on Iberia marketed flights will follow the Iberia Plus proposition. See www.ba.com/avioschanges for more information.
For any flights marketed and operated by other airlines, customers will continue to collect Avios according to each airline’s model of accrual.
About the British Airways Executive Club
The British Airways Executive Club is a free-to-join reward programme for anyone who loves travel. Its currency is Avios, which can be collected by flying with BA or its partner airlines, taking a holiday, making purchases with more than 1,500 retailers when shopping through British Airways at shopping.ba.com, or through everyday spending with a wide range of partners such as American Express, Nectar, Avis Budget Group and Marriott.
Members can also collect Tier Points every time they fly with British Airways or its oneworld® partners, which offer access a range of exclusive benefits as they climb the Tiers through Blue, Bronze, Silver and Gold. For more information, visit www.ba.com/executiveclub
Source: British Airways