EDINBURGH, Scotland, 2018-Dec-06 — /Travel PR News/ — Scotland’s first-ever business events campaign has brought in almost £10 million worth of inquiries in its first year alone, VisitScotland can reveal.
Scotland. Where Ideas Become Legend, launched in November 2017, and is an industry-first, bringing together all of Scotland’s convention bureaux as well as major conference centres and regions under one banner to grow the multi-million-pound sector.
Led by the national tourism organisation’s Business Events team, the campaign celebrated its first anniversary at ibtm world in Barcelona (27-29 November) – a leading global event for the meetings and events industry.
The Legends campaign shows Scotland as not only a world-leading destination for hosting association conferences, conventions and congresses but also a hub for collaborations, research and new discoveries.
It focuses on one of Scotland’s key sectors every two months, such as Technology, Energy and Life Sciences, with the country’s convention bureaux and regions contributing content to highlight achievements and opportunities, which is then shared across social media using the hashtag #IdeasBecomeLegend.
In the first year alone, Legends has:
- Generated £9.5 million worth of inquiries since launching
- Generated £2 million worth of converted business since launching
- Engaged 70+ organisations across Scotland
- Shared 200 plus pieces of content about Scotland’s expertise across the country, using the hashtag #IdeasBecomeLegend
- Achieved more than 60 million impressions of the hashtag on Twitter, without paid promotion
Recently the Legends campaign won the ICCA Best Marketing Award 2018 at the 57th ICCA World Congress in Dubai.
Rory Archibald, Business Development Manager at VisitScotland Business Events said: “We’re thrilled with the results of the first year of the Legends campaign. Business Events are crucial for supporting economic and social progress, supporting the growth of key sectors in Scotland and for profiling the country on a global stage.
“Together with Scotland’s cities, regions, universities, innovation centres, investment agencies and representative bodies, we’ve transformed Scotland’s messaging to the international business events market.”
ibtm world is attended by up to 15,000 industry professionals from the Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Exhibitions (MICE) market.
VisitScotland Business Events was joined by 13 Scottish businesses which took part in more than 500 pre-scheduled appointments with top international professional event and meeting organisers, convincing them why Scotland is the right destination for their next event.
For more on the Legends campaign, go to https://www.scotland.org/business/conferences-and-meetings/legends
Notes to Editors
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation’s core objective is to contribute to the Tourism 2020 Strategy ambition of growing tourism revenues by £1 billion by 2020.
- This will be supported by five overarching strategies: Marketing, Events, Quality and Sustainability, Inclusive Tourism, International Engagement.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- Spending by tourists in Scotland generates around £12 billion of economic activity in the wider Scottish supply chain and contributes around £6 billion to Scottish GDP (in basic prices). This represents about 5% of total Scottish GDP
- For VisitScotland’s press releases go to http://www.visitscotland.org/media_centre.aspx, tourism statistics and frequently asked questions go to http://www.visitscotland.org/
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
2018 Year of Young People
- A global first, YoYP 2018 is a part of the Scottish Government’s themed-year programme which focuses on celebrating Scotland’s greatest assets.
- A year-long programme of events and festivals are taking place across the whole of the country for all ages to enjoy, led by EventScotland part of VisitScotland’s Events Directorate. More information at www.visitscotland.com/yoyp2018
- Local authorities, schools, youth groups and organisations are running their own YoYP 2018 activity. Search #YOYP2018 on Twitter for the latest news.
- Young people co-designed the Year. A group of young leaders, Communic18, lead on all key decision making. More than 380 Ambassadors based are championing activity.
- The Year is delivered in partnership between the Scottish Government, VisitScotland and EventScotland – part of the VisitScotland Events Directorate, Young Scot, Scottish Youth Parliament, Children in Scotland, YouthLink Scotland and Creative Scotland.
- More information can be found at yoyp2018.scot, searching @YOYP2018 #YOYP2018 on Twitter or by emailing email@example.com
Corporate Press Officer – National
Contact for media enquiries on: Business Events/Tourism; Film Tourism; Outer Hebrides
0131 472 2283
Out of hours – 0131 472 2324