Margaret River, Western Australia, 2020-Feb-24 — /Travel PR News/ — Now in its eleventh year, Sculpture by the Bay is an incredible display of art that transforms the foreshore of Dunsborough for three days over the first March long weekend.
History of Sculpture by the Bay
The event first took place in 2010, drawing a modest display of 12 individual sculptures from local artists. Founded as a showcase for exhibiting outdoor works of beauty and interest, this volunteer coordinated event was the brainchild of the Dunsborough Progress Association. Not only did it provide an exhibition opportunity for Australia’s many artists, but also to develop a sculptural trail in the town and surrounding area.
The event grew in popularity, and in 2019 saw the event expanded to introduce the Small Sculpture Prize, allowing those with smaller works of art to also take part. The event has attracted an ever-growing army of fans, and last year saw more than 10,000 visitors arrive to view the 48 outside works and 28 small inside pieces on display.
Today the exhibition remains on the original site, an is found at the end of Dunn Bay Road at Dunsborough Foreshore.
Artists can choose to enter one or more of the following categories:
- Open Award Sculpture Prize: This is judged as being the Best Public Sculpture, with a prize of $3,000.
- City of Busselton Acquisitive Award: This category concentrates on the suitability of the work to take a coveted place on the Dunsborough Sculpture Trail, and offers a $5,000 award to the winner.
- Braeco Darnart Award: Sculptures to be constructed from more than 60% recycled material. The winner gets a handsome $1,500 prize.
- Happs Wine Emerging Artist Award: As the name suggests, this category is for those who’ve not exhibited in a public competition before. There’s an award of $1,000 on offer to the lucky winner.
- Environmental Award Sculpture Prize: For the work that delivers the strongest environmental message, with a well-deserved prize of $1,000.
- People’s Choice Award: The public vote for this one – it commands a prize of $500.
In addition, there’s three separate categories for the small sculpture awards. This includes a further People’s Choice category, meaning that all visitors can get involved in deciding who wins the sought after prizes.
A weekend of fun and culture
As you’d expect, over the years Sculpture by the Bay has built up into an extensive event, with a variety of happenings to suit all tastes and ages. This includes artisan craft stalls, The Busselton Fringe Festival, alfresco film screenings, pop up art exhibitions, musical performances and lots of other arts, crafts, workshops and exhibits.
It’s an event for all the family, with the scenic surroundings of the town perfectly lending themselves for a wonderful weekend getaway. Dunsborough itself offers a multitude of things to do, no matter what you enjoy.
- Walk or cycle the stunning coastal trail
- Enjoy the delights of the ocean and hire a canoe or kayak on the foreshore
- Climb the traditional Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse
- Explore the coastline on a guided jet-ski tour from Quindalup
- Go birdwatching at Sugarloaf Rock
- Relax and swim at Meelpu Beach (and if you come as the sun sets you’ll be likely to spot ‘roos as well…)
- Take a trip with Jet Adventures from the Old Dunsborough Boat Ramp. Nature lovers can get up close and personal with bird and marine life, and adrenaline junkies can get their fix on a white knuckle high speed jet boat ride.
When it comes to somewhere to stay, the ultimate place to lay your head is one of the gorgeous holiday homes on offer from luxury accommodation specialist, Private Properties. Imagine enjoying an alfresco breakfast looking out on the stunning vista of Geographe Bay from your private terrace? Or your own private pool, or perhaps acres of rolling land where you can watch kangaroos in your back garden?
Such holiday opulence is more easily accessible than you might think, courtesy of the leading provider of gorgeous accommodation in WA’s South West region. Discover more and book your stay of a lifetime at https://www.privateproperties.com.au or give their expert team a call on 08 9750 5444 to further discuss your requirements.
SOURCE: EPR Network