- Transport group supports bid for 2021 prestigious title
- Exciting opportunity to boost City’s wider economic ambitions
- Perth should pull together to promote city’s young talent
PERTH, SCOTLAND, 2017-Feb-18 — /Travel PR News/ — Britain’s biggest bus operator, Stagecoach, announced today (16 February) that it is backing Perth’s bid to be UK City of Culture in 2021.
Stagecoach was formed in Perth by Sir Brian Souter and Ann Gloag in 1980. Through new ideas and entrepreneurial drive, it has grown into an international transport group with 13,000 buses and trains carrying around 4 million customers a day and generating an annual turnover of more than £4billion.
While the company has operated public transport services in many parts of the globe over the past three decades and more, it has continued to maintain its international headquarters in the City of Perth.
Stagecoach will be helping back Perth’s City of Culture bid through a range of initiatives, including promoting the campaign through its bus fleet.
Sir Brian Souter, Stagecoach Group Chairman and co-founder, said: “This is a really exciting time for our region and we’re delighted to back Perth’s bid for UK City of Culture 2021.
“We’ve got a unique history, vibrant culture and stunning geography in and around our City. More importantly, we have fantastic people and ideas. There’s a real opportunity to use those strengths to help transform our economy and our communities.”
Stagecoach has been among the companies supporting a range of initiatives underway to revitalise Perth and the wider region.
As well as supporting the City of Culture 2021 bid, Stagecoach has assisted with the development of the Tay Cities Deal proposals. The company is also backing the region’s Developing Young Workforce programme to help young people get work ready and ensure local businesses have access to the skills it needs to grow.
Sir Brian added: “The example of Stagecoach over the past four decades shows that Perth can be the springboard for innovation and success. Whether it’s connecting communities through transport or bringing people together to enjoy new cultural experiences, I believe our City has a bright future.
“I hope everyone pulls together and backs both the City of Culture bid and the renewed ambition of Perth. As well as attracting new visitors, cultivating fresh talent and inspiring young entrepreneurs, we can revitalise our City and create opportunities for everyone.”
Cllr Ian Miller, Chair of the Perth 2021 Programme Board, said: “I’m delighted that Stagecoach are backing Perth’s bid to be UK City of Culture 2021. As a national company which has grown from a local base, Stagecoach has shown that we can compete with the best of them. The company has always been a staunch supporter of initiatives to grow the local economy, support young people into work and develop our transport network, giving generously of their employees’ time and expertise to help the area. It’s great to see this continuing with the City of Culture bid, which will be another huge boost to local ambitions.”
Notes to editors
- Stagecoach is an international public transport group, with operations in the UK, mainland Europe, the United States and Canada. The Group employs around 40,000 people, and operates around 13,000 buses, coaches, trains and trams.
- Stagecoach is one of the UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,500 buses and coaches on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates a network of inter-city services across the UK. We also operate some contracted coach services in mainland Europe.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It also has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast rail franchise, and a 90% shareholding in Virgin Trains East Coast, which operates the East Coast rail franchise.
- Stagecoach operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,300 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. megabus.com operates a network of inter-city coach services in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter, transit, contracted, charter, airport shuttle and sightseeing services.
- For more information on Stagecoach Group, go to www.stagecoachgroup.com
Stagecoach Group communications
Tel: 01738 442111
Source: Stage Coach Group