- Almost 4,900 Stagecoach employees achieve GreenRoad Fleet Elite status
- 5% increase in number of company’s drivers reaching elite standard
- More Stagecoach drivers meet benchmark than any bus operator or other company for fourth consecutive year
- Advanced telematics system constantly checks driving manoeuvres
- System helps achieve 3% improvement in fuel efficiency across UK bus operations
PERTH, SCOTLAND, 2017-Feb-28 — /Travel PR News/ — Stagecoach bus employees are leading the way in a global performance scheme which measures safe and fuel-efficient driving.
A total of 4,896 Stagecoach drivers have been awarded Fleet Elite status under the programme managed by GreenRoad, whose telematics system serves professional drivers in the UK, Ireland, Europe, the Middle East, America, Australia and New Zealand.
Over 2400 of Stagecoach’s Fleet Elite drivers have achieved the Gold badge for consistently maintaining the Fleet Elite safe and fuel-efficient driving standard for three consecutive years, and 1400 drivers have maintained the standard for four consecutive years.
Using a traffic-light LED system on the dashboard, GreenRoad gives drivers instant feedback on their driving manoeuvres, encouraging smoother, safer, and more fuel-efficient driving.
Stagecoach drivers account for almost half of the 9930 drivers globally who met the Fleet Elite standard in 2016. More Stagecoach employees gained Fleet Elite status than any other bus operator – or other company on the scheme – in the UK and worldwide.
Around 19% of Stagecoach’s 19,000-strong driving team have achieved the prestigious benchmark.
Fleet Elite standard drivers must clock up more than 500 driving hours in a year and achieve an average of five or less events, such as harsh braking or acceleration, per 10 hours of driving over the calendar year. In fact, 127 Stagecoach drivers scored zero – a perfect score – during the period.
The GreenRoad system is installed on all Stagecoach vehicles at the Group’s bus companies. It uses a dashboard traffic lights-style system to provide instant feedback to drivers to encourage smoother and safer driving.
Research by GreenRoad shows that in extreme cases driving decisions are responsible for up to 33% of fuel spend. Even experienced, professional drivers have the potential to improve their fuel efficiency 4% with the right guidance. To date, use of GreenRoad’s system and Stagecoach’s comprehensive driver training programme has helped deliver a 3% improvement in fuel efficiency across Stagecoach operations in the UK.
All employees who meet the Fleet Elite standard receive a special badge in recognition of their achievement.
Robert Montgomery, Stagecoach UK Bus Managing Director, said: “This achievement reflects the thorough training our drivers receive as well as the commitment and professionalism that our people display on a daily basis.
“Smoother, fuel-efficient driving is safer and provides more comfortable journeys for our customers as well as helping to cut our carbon footprint.”
Stagecoach has also supported its multi-million-pound investment in the GreenRoad technology with a dedicated annual driver bonus pot. Employees can earn ‘green points’ for greener driving, which is converted into a cash bonus. In 2016, around £1.1million of bonus payments were made to Stagecoach drivers.
Dougie Portwood, Head of GreenRoad’s Strategic Programme Management, said: “2016 has been an impressive year for GreenRoad drivers worldwide with more than ever attaining Fleet Elite status.”
“Fleet, Safety and Risk Managers around the world recognise that the Fleet Elite programme has a huge positive impact on driver safety, performance and overall organisational culture. Many drivers have spoken of the pride of attaining Fleet Elite status year after year.”
In 2016 more than 11% of GreenRoad’s professional driver base achieved Fleet Elite status, representing a 15% increase over 2015. Each year the percentage of GreenRoad drivers who achieve Fleet Elite status worldwide has increased – a testament to the in-cab feedback that encourages drivers to continually improve, embedding good driving habits. This not only improves road safety, leading to lower insurance premiums and reduced accident-related costs, but it also improves fuel economy.
Stagecoach has invested £1billion over the past 10 years in brand new vehicles for local communities across the UK.
Further information about Stagecoach UK Bus can be found at www.stagecoachbus.com
- Stagecoach Group is an international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, the United States and Canada. The Group employs around 40,000 people, and operates around 13,000 buses, coaches, trains and trams.
- Stagecoach is one of the UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,500 buses and coaches on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates a network of inter-city services across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast rail franchise. It also has a 90% shareholding in Virgin Trains East Coast, which operates the East Coast rail franchise.
- Stagecoach operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,300 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. megabus.com links around 130 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter, transit, contracted, charter, airport shuttle and sightseeing services.
GreenRoad provides a single, comprehensive solution to both change driver behaviour and manage fleet performance and efficiency. With GreenRoad, engage drivers directly for meaningful, lasting behaviour change. Optimize daily and strategic operations with fleet tracking, mapping and reporting. What it means to your business is increased safety and customer satisfaction and reduced operating costs for a clear competitive advantage.
To learn more visit www.greenroad.com or follow GreenRoad on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Stagecoach Group Communications
Source: Stagecoach Group